Notices

Spun rod bearings. Problem with the oil sump or just the engine was in bad shape?

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2010, 08:58 AM
quag
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spun rod bearings. Problem with the oil sump or just the engine was in bad shape?

Hello,

I have a problem with my04 wrx. I have a spun rod bearings after the driving on ice for a 30 minutes. There was no too high rpms ... 6000-7000 max maybe. My engine is 46000 miles.

I heard that subarus have a problem with the oil sump, that when you do donuts the forces push the oil to the sides and oil pump intakes the air. And this is because of a bad oil sump design.

Is it true that you can not do donuts with subaru, because of this problem where you might end up with blown engine?
Is this problem with oil intake and spun rod bearings is specifical to Subaru Impreza models?
How to avoid this situation? Or it was only because of my engine not in a good shape?
Old 01 February 2010, 09:11 AM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I think you've answered your own question, i don't think Subaru's development on the sump design etc really had doing donuts high on there list.
You say you were'nt revving the engine to high ( 6,000 to 7,000 ) what do you normally rev it too.
I think your engine has done well to last this long.
Your just another owner that abuses the car beyond any normal mechanical sympathy, with probably low sump oil level, then blames Subaru for not building a car to take it.
Old 01 February 2010, 10:18 AM
quag
Scooby Newbie

So you say this problem is not particular to Impreza models... I own my first impreza just for 2 months and already have an engine failure...

Is it worth to invest in baffle plates to insert it to oil sump, to avoid not taking oil problem?
Old 01 March 2010, 05:54 PM
stedee
Scooby Regular

it could be the oil pressure relief valve on the oil pump, best to get a rcm oil pump when you rebuild and yes a baffled sump would help