Handling Forester STI

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2010, 11:27 PM
Steve craggy
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handling Forester STI

Guys
Having just purchased a Forester STI (07 plate) im looking at making a few tweaks. Having already had the engine breathed upon im happy that its producing enough grunt for its intended purpose. Overall its a great package.

However, I'm not massively keen on aspects of the cars handling/steering. Fully aware that its a relatively tall vehicle I accept its going to roll, which I don't mind all that much. No problem with grip either, it has shed loads and is really good in the wet. The main issue for me is the steering feel, its very wooly and uncomunicative! Maybe this is an inherent trait in this car but im sure it can be improved..

Most of my previous cars have been all about handling and have all felt a bit 'under engined'. The Forester is feeling a bit 'the other way'.

As I say - Im aware that its not super focussed im just wondering what the best course of action is to improve the feedback of the steering and maybe tighten it up a bit.

Cheers

Steve
Old 29 January 2010, 12:38 AM
belliott69
Scooby Regular

i'd say get over to SubaruForester.org they'll be able to help out a bit better on there mate.
Old 29 January 2010, 02:44 PM
Fleetwood
Scooby Regular

I have had an 04 FSTI for the last 8 months and have hung around on the subaru forester board (you have to go to the Europe sub forum).

There is no definitive answer in terms of handling for the Forester STI. The majority that modify go for the Litchfield/AST sportline 1 coilover solution but there are some who regretted this route as being too harsh (and plenty that loved it)

AST Suspension - Fitted on FSTi - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
AST's too harsh - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
FSTI with OE suspension - Subaru Forester Owners Forum

Therefore I would suggest looking at less expensive tweaks initially if you are on the standard supension such as harder whiteline bushes, geometry checks, tyre combinations etc. before diving into a wholesale suspension change.
Also consider that the higher driving position and subsequent centre of gravity, body roll may take a while to get used to but may be more of a driving adjustment rather then something to be fixed. So give it some time and experiment as there are cars that I drove that I thought had poor steering and handling only to have a more talented mate wax lyrical.

Al