Notices

AVCS Heads on to Non AVCS car

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2010, 08:35 AM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AVCS Heads on to Non AVCS car

Right just doing some research before starting to spec up my new build.

I'm aiming for around 500bhp with sensible spool and driveability.

Car is a 2002 WRX, I will be fitting either a CDB 2.1 stroker or if I can get a 2.2 CDB for a sensible prive a 2.35 stroker. Most likely I'll use one of the MD series turbos. I will almost certianly be getting either Simtek or Solaris fitted anyway.

THe sticking point is what to do with my heads, obviously I have the non-AVCS V7 wrx heads.
  • Option 1 is to leave the heads/cams std, but my thinking is this will not result in good power gains/fast enough spool.
  • Option 2 would be to get the heads ported/polished and a set of fast road cams.
  • Option 3 which is my preferred option would be to fit a set of AVCS heads and cams from an V8 onwards Sti - Obviously my std ECU couldn't run this but the solaris or simtek should be able to, what else would I need to change in terms of wiring harness sensors etc? Is this too much of an effort for not enough gain?

Anybody done the AVCS conversion onto a WRX?
Old 24 January 2010, 09:02 AM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

Iv read to get the best from 2.3's your best investing in some really good heads to get the most from them. iv asked about AVCS before, it was a while ago but I think the only wiring for AVCS heads is to the solenoid for each head?

dont think simtek currently support AVCS either, but syvecs/solaris does.
Old 24 January 2010, 12:25 PM
steve rally
Scooby Regular

SimTek supports AVCS....We have done a number of these conversions with the addition of a small lay on loom to connect to the additional sensors and oil control valves.
Old 24 January 2010, 02:14 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the cost to the customer of such a conversion loom Steve ?
Old 24 January 2010, 04:02 PM
steve rally
Scooby Regular

Depends on the base car; WRX with TGV is easy as we use the existing TGV sensor and motor wiring by re pinning the loom at the ECU.All that is required are some VVT cam sensor and oil valve plugs to connect to the AVCS heads which we obtained from a breakers; so cost is just a few quid.

Car without TGV requiring loom for both sensors and oil valves including plugs etc approx £25.
Old 24 January 2010, 04:05 PM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

I'm guessing therefore that you also remove the TGVs as part of the conversion?

How much better would the STI AVCS heads and cams be against a set of ported WRX non avcs heads with fast road cams?

Last edited by BlueBugEye; 24 January 2010 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Steve replied before I posted!
Old 24 January 2010, 04:18 PM
steve rally
Scooby Regular

Yes, best to remove TGV.Spool up and hence torque will be improved with AVCS but how much will depend on cam profile you choose.
Old 24 January 2010, 04:41 PM
Slowboy Racing
Former Sponsor

Location: 10.68 QT mile in 2007 2.33 Type R ** Current 2002 Spec C 2.33 Track prepped.

As per first post, i have arriving in the next few weeks 10 EJ22T blocks, PM me if you want prices on blocks with stroker kits.
Old 24 January 2010, 06:05 PM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by *Un-Ink*
As per first post, i have arriving in the next few weeks 10 EJ22T blocks, PM me if you want prices on blocks with stroker kits.
If only I had the money right now, I'm looking at doing this around this time next year so on a fact finding mission for at least the first half of this year to make sure I get the right parts/spec etc. at the right prices. Don't suppose you want to hold a block?!
Old 24 January 2010, 09:33 PM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by steve rally
Yes, best to remove TGV.Spool up and hence torque will be improved with AVCS but how much will depend on cam profile you choose.
So would it be fair to say that aftermarket Cams in my std heads with a port and polish and TGV delete would be pretty much as good as a set of std STI 8 heads and cams with AVCS?
Old 25 January 2010, 07:54 AM
steve rally
Scooby Regular

Not quite what I meant.AVCS will improve performance with whatever cams you choose but the relative gain will depend on the cam profile.Best option is therefore AVCS + aftermarket cams + TGV delete.You would have to have a fairly wide overlap on non AVCS cams to achieve a similar spool up/torque low down and that would compromise other areas.
Old 25 January 2010, 06:53 PM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

Looks like I need to try to sort out a set of STI 8 AVCS heads then! Can get a new set of cams further on down the line then I guess.
I guess I need to look out for a complete set of heads with sensors etc.