simtek ECU help ?

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2010, 08:12 PM
jeffwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default simtek ECU help ?

Hi all , sorry for long post but have a few questions

i bought a second hand simtek ecu for my 95 wrx, as i want to get it remapped , fitted it today with the charge temp sensor and map sensor , I am not sure if i have the wires round the right way for the charge temp sensor , i have 1 wire going to the white maf wire and other to the black ? not sure if this is right as i have 2 black wires on the maf?

also this ecu is meant to have anti lag and launch control , - do i need to wire a switch in for these and how do you change between maps?

fitted the simtek today and 740cc nismo injectors and have started the car since to put it away, and it runs /idles very rough as if its running on 3 cylinders (engine shaking) , but disconnected each injector plug 1 at a time and it seems as if it is running on all 4 , would this rough running be down to the the ecu being mapped for a different car , stinks of petrol like it over fueling ?

if it helps the car has the folowing engine mods,

hybrid fmic
3" decat
blitz nurspec exhaust system
sard FPR , parrlel fuel rails
k&N induction
nismo 740cc injectors ( i know these are to big , but were sold to me as 550cc but have since found out fRom the part no, they 740cc so fitted them anyway)
simtek ecu

any help much appreciated, cheers
Old 23 January 2010, 09:22 PM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

you need to get a mapper to fit it and map it or you could cause some problems dude
Old 23 January 2010, 09:44 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

You need to get it mapped ASAP. You can perhaps try lowering the fuel pressure right down to help stop the overfuelling for the purposes of moving it around a little, but don't drive it any distance like that.

If you have your standard injectors, that would be an alternative to making it run half sensible, but again, you need to get it mapped either way.

With it as it is you can't just drive somewhere for mapping, you will need the mapper to come to you or trailer the car somewhere for it to be done.

Paul
Old 23 January 2010, 10:06 PM
jeffwrx
Scooby Regular

ok thanks for reply's , I should of said i am not planning on driving it , i just might need to move it out the garage, untill i can find someone to mapp it , cheers

can anyone help with the other questions , thanks
Old 23 January 2010, 10:11 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What's the code on the ECU board?
Old 23 January 2010, 10:37 PM
jeffwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mickywrx
What's the code on the ECU board?
E1S960181 , i think there was some other numbers written on the case , but i can get them tomorow if needed , cheers

Last edited by jeffwrx; 23 January 2010 at 10:38 PM.
Old 24 January 2010, 11:06 AM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffwrx
Hi all , sorry for long post but have a few questions

i bought a second hand simtek ecu for my 95 wrx, as i want to get it remapped , fitted it today with the charge temp sensor and map sensor , I am not sure if i have the wires round the right way for the charge temp sensor , i have 1 wire going to the white maf wire and other to the black ? not sure if this is right as i have 2 black wires on the maf?

also this ecu is meant to have anti lag and launch control , - do i need to wire a switch in for these and how do you change between maps?

fitted the simtek today and 740cc nismo injectors and have started the car since to put it away, and it runs /idles very rough as if its running on 3 cylinders (engine shaking) , but disconnected each injector plug 1 at a time and it seems as if it is running on all 4 , would this rough running be down to the the ecu being mapped for a different car , stinks of petrol like it over fueling ?

if it helps the car has the folowing engine mods,

hybrid fmic
3" decat
blitz nurspec exhaust system
sard FPR , parrlel fuel rails
k&N induction
nismo 740cc injectors ( i know these are to big , but were sold to me as 550cc but have since found out fRom the part no, they 740cc so fitted them anyway)
simtek ecu

any help much appreciated, cheers
As Paul stated, the injectors need top be scaled to be of any use, so don't run the engine at all untill you get it mapped.
For the ALS yes you will need to wire in a switch, I don't have the SimTek pinouts to hand but I will PM you tomorrow with which wire you need to connect it to on a 96. The launch control is activated via the neutral switch, so no need for anything else there, aslong as your switch is good of course.

Switching between maps is activated via toggling the throttle at switch on or via a switch, again I can tell you which wire to join to tomorrow.

Martyn
Old 24 January 2010, 11:52 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

agree with that has been said, also you have connected to the air temp sensor wrong from memory I don't think it is the white wire.

To check you need to connect to pins 2 and 4.. doesn't matter whcih way you hold the plug as there is 5pins and 2 and 4 are the same pins from both directions.

Simon
Old 24 January 2010, 11:53 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

oh and most places don't charge for fitting ALS switch wiring or map switch if wanted etc so you may as well wait until you get it mapped and let them do it.

Simon
Old 24 January 2010, 12:07 PM
jeffwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MartynJ
As Paul stated, the injectors need top be scaled to be of any use, so don't run the engine at all untill you get it mapped.
For the ALS yes you will need to wire in a switch, I don't have the SimTek pinouts to hand but I will PM you tomorrow with which wire you need to connect it to on a 96. The launch control is activated via the neutral switch, so no need for anything else there, aslong as your switch is good of course.

Switching between maps is activated via toggling the throttle at switch on or via a switch, again I can tell you which wire to join to tomorrow.

Martyn
thanks for the help
Old 24 January 2010, 12:16 PM
jeffwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
oh and most places don't charge for fitting ALS switch wiring or map switch if wanted etc so you may as well wait until you get it mapped and let them do it.

Simon
thanks for reply , i was going to ask you to map it simon , but havn't asked yet as the cars currently not insured as i took it of the road as wansn't using it since fitting FMIC , if you do map it , would i need to trailor the car to you? I'm in Ashford, kent,
cheers Jeff
Old 24 January 2010, 12:22 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jeffwrx
thanks for reply , i was going to ask you to map it simon , but havn't asked yet as the cars currently not insured as i took it of the road as wansn't using it since fitting FMIC , if you do map it , would i need to trailor the car to you? I'm in Ashford, kent,
cheers Jeff
I travel throughout europe mapping.. I suspect I would be a classed as a bit cruel to make you trailer it 15minutes down the road lol..

I can come to you no problem at all.

Simon
Old 24 January 2010, 02:41 PM
jeffwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
I travel throughout europe mapping.. I suspect I would be a classed as a bit cruel to make you trailer it 15minutes down the road lol..

I can come to you no problem at all.

Simon
didn't realise you lived so close lol , its probably not going to be insured again until a couple of months yet , so probably best if i contact you nearer the time to arrange a time , if that's ok,
also do i need to wire a switch for ALS switch or map switch, or can you do this on the day ,
cheers Jeff
Old 24 January 2010, 02:51 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Yes j8 m20.
If you want to mount specific switches to your taste and run wires to passenger foot well it is then a two minute job to wire in.
Or I can do the lot, dont mind.
Simon
Old 10 February 2014, 10:50 PM
TarkMalbot
Scooby Newbie

I have an Alcatek and going to have it mapped with twin maps and anti lag. I have the console out at the moment for other work so was planning on fitting the switches myself and running the wires to the ECU ready to be wired in on the day of mapping.

I have a single pole missile launcher style switch which I am told is suitable for the AL but please could you tell me what sort of switch I need for the map selecting? Is it just one switched input to two pins so just need a single pole single throw switch?

Thanks
Old 10 February 2014, 10:56 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TarkMalbot
I have an Alcatek and going to have it mapped with twin maps and anti lag. I have the console out at the moment for other work so was planning on fitting the switches myself and running the wires to the ECU ready to be wired in on the day of mapping.

I have a single pole missile launcher style switch which I am told is suitable for the AL but please could you tell me what sort of switch I need for the map selecting? Is it just one switched input to two pins so just need a single pole single throw switch?

Thanks
If you only want two maps then a single pole toggle on/off switch works fine.
Both will be to ground and to ecu so you can wire them to a ground point next switches and run the two other wires to the ecu ready for installation.
It is possible to use an 8 position multi cal switch if you wanted more than two maps but tbh high and low boost generally works really well.

Simon
Old 10 February 2014, 11:01 PM
TarkMalbot
Scooby Newbie

Perfect! Thanks for that.
Old 10 February 2014, 11:02 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

No problem.
Old 10 February 2014, 11:13 PM
TarkMalbot
Scooby Newbie

Next daft question is that my missile switch has an LED on the end of the toggle. I assume this will need a 12V supply to the switch and then light up the LED when switched but then it will also send 12v to the ECU. Is this correct?

And is that the same theory for a map switch?
Old 10 February 2014, 11:33 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Thats a no no

In theory you could wire it on reverse because most switches assume they are switching positive. But not tried.
Old 10 February 2014, 11:39 PM
TarkMalbot
Scooby Newbie

Ok so the ECU is just wanting a switched negative from the ECU down to earth to activate the 2nd map and the same for LCS. I will work something out. I'm an electrical engineer believe it or not but it's been a long day! Lol

Last edited by TarkMalbot; 10 February 2014 at 11:49 PM.