Notices

elec woes on a classic - help please

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2010, 10:42 PM
Off Your Marks
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default elec woes on a classic - help please

i have searched before asking and nothing really relates too well to my syptoms.

Ok its a '94 WRX wagon

Problems are

1 - When i try and operate the C/L with the little subaru fob, they lock and then unlock again in the same operation. I can however use the key in the drivers door and its OK that way.

2- The boot dosent lock via the C/L - i can use the key and manually lock it though. I have a spare C/L actuator for the boot and tried it today but still no joy and much be something else further upstream

I know for some this situation may be manageable but the fact its not working correctly drives me mad.

Can someone please offer some suggestions?

Many thanks in advance

Matt
Old 15 January 2010, 01:11 AM
imprezahubbard
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i no its a different car but i had a mondeo that did the same i took it to a ford dealer and they reprogramed the fob for me and it worked a treat hope this helps but its only a thought it mite not work on your car mate
Old 15 January 2010, 01:40 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

1. The first thing to rule out would be a mechanical issue, as that's the most likely problem if the alarm is working normally apart from not locking/unlocking. Take off the door card and check whether the link rod between the c/l activator motor and c/l lever is set at the right height and that nothing's loose, and go from there. As the WRX was an import I don't know what model alarm it comes with, so can't advise on fob reprogramming or anything like that.

2. It's very unlikely the c/l is supposed to lock/unlock the boot, since there's no motor fitted there to do it, on any standard cars I've seen. It should still trigger the alarm though if you open the boot with the alarm activated. It might be a pain, but retro-fitting the necessary electrics woudn't be exactly fun either.
Old 15 January 2010, 09:00 AM
Off Your Marks
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the input guys

Just a question though

If it was a mechanical issue - surely this would be the same when i use the key in the drivers doors, ie they wouldnt lock.

Re the alarm - thats a seperate item that dosent operate the C/L. The car had remote C/L only fitted as standard from the factroy and is operated by a single button subaru fob.

So basically, i press the C/L button on the factory subaru fob and the doors lock then unlock. I then insert the key into the drivers door and turn to the ledt and the C/L operates fine. All doors lock apart from the boot. I have also noticed that the door lock switch on the inside that should operate the C/L dosent work either.

Re the boot - I have taken the panel off and there is an actuator unit in there with a two wire plug. The unit is plastic and approx same size as a *** packet but thinner - it has a stubby hook arm on one end the rests on the lock pushrod - i assume this is a C/L actuator? I have tried changing that but no difference.

Any more thoughts guys?

TIA

Matt
Old 15 January 2010, 09:12 AM
incarsolutions
Scooby Regular

first problem will be the motor in the drivers door, its dead. Should be a simple fix with a universal motor, the boot has probably got a broken wire feeding into the boot, check by pulling the rubber boots off between the boot and the roof and gently pulling the wires to see if any of them are broken
Old 15 January 2010, 10:06 AM
imprezahubbard
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh and just to say i have the wagon to and the c/l does lock the boot
Old 15 January 2010, 06:18 PM
Off Your Marks
Scooby Regular

thanks guys for the info.

OK, getting somewhere! As suggested by incarsoloutions the rear C/L prob was indeed a broken wire in the flex rubber sleeve - now sorted thanks.

I stripped the door card off and located the motor/cartridge for the locking - bottom right hand corner between door skin - question is, how the hell do i get it out, does anyone know please

many thanks

matt