Notices

turbo whistle?

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2010, 11:58 AM
scotty2hottie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo whistle?

Hi guys, a friend of mine has the following problem, any help would be much appreciated.

Right the problem is: Subaru STI 2002 bugeye model

The car develops a high pitch whistle under torque from 3500 revs all the way through the rev range. It only happens when accelerating, if you back off the whistle stops or lesson dramatically, It does not do it whilst the car is stationary. The car has to be under acceleration for the noise to start. The pipe from the airbox has been replaced. The red inlet pipe has been checked and so have various other pipes. The turbo has been taken off and the gaskets have been replaced.The performance of the car does not seem to be effected by the whistle. The car has been to Subaru twice and they claim turbo's do not go on theses cars but are not sure what the problem is. I have been to 2 other garages who claim it is the turbo but the turbo had be taken off since and the gaskets replaced after there 2 garages claim it could be the turbo.

Old 04 January 2010, 12:08 PM
wrxforex
Scooby Newbie

I have the exact same issue on my 2002 WRX Bug Eye and no-one can tell me the cause.
Old 04 January 2010, 12:14 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Originally Posted by scotty2hottie
Hi guys, a friend of mine has the following problem, any help would be much appreciated.

Right the problem is: Subaru STI 2002 bugeye model

The car develops a high pitch whistle under torque from 3500 revs all the way through the rev range. It only happens when accelerating, if you back off the whistle stops or lesson dramatically, It does not do it whilst the car is stationary. The car has to be under acceleration for the noise to start. The pipe from the airbox has been replaced. The red inlet pipe has been checked and so have various other pipes. The turbo has been taken off and the gaskets have been replaced.The performance of the car does not seem to be effected by the whistle. The car has been to Subaru twice and they claim turbo's do not go on theses cars but are not sure what the problem is. I have been to 2 other garages who claim it is the turbo but the turbo had be taken off since and the gaskets replaced after there 2 garages claim it could be the turbo.

Most often, if it's a standard turbo, that kind of thing could indicate a damaged blade, either compressor or turbine. Bear in mind there are parts of the turbo that aren't visible if you're looking at it from the outside. It may also have a leak of some sort, possibly from the manifold or up pipe. It would certainly be worse under boost. These things are sometimes tricky to find!
Old 04 January 2010, 12:28 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

i have decatted my exhaust from the turbo back and i can hear the turbo whistling on acceleration... it great, but if yours hasnt been decatted then Alan is right
Old 04 January 2010, 12:53 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

i have the same problem on my 03sti, normally only from 3-4k rpm and the noise vary s from nothing to fairly loud, it is more of a kettle boiling than the turbo spool up sound.
Old 04 January 2010, 06:24 PM
kevpott
Scooby Regular

same thing on mine since doing a full decat sounds nice but can be a pain on the motorway