Newage engine differences?

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2010, 11:33 AM
mbayley77
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newage engine differences?

As title really.
Im sure that a few of you know that I bought a newage WRX the other week and am exploring the options of fitting a new engine and box to it just for some track fun.

Will a classic engine go in without much trouble?
Will a classic five speed fit to newage engine and vice versa?

You see what im trying to get at.

Would love to know all my options

Thanks
Old 05 January 2010, 12:35 PM
johngoulding
Scooby Regular

a classic engine wouldnt fit the wiring loom and the ecu , ignition etc would all need to be changed , as for the gearbox the newage boxes are just as good so i wouldnt bother unless u can find a non dccd sti close ratio box then it would fit but includes changin the prop and rear diff , not sure about the driveshafts and hubs but for the differences in the gearbox i would stick to what you have got unless u have no gearbox at all , just remember that the gearbox has to match the rear diff and so does the propshaft if ur changing the years of which the original gearbox is moving to eg : 96 to 04
Old 05 January 2010, 12:43 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why would you want to fit a less reliable engine?
Old 05 January 2010, 04:55 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mbayley77
You see what im trying to get at.
Not really. Don't immediately see why you think fitting classic bits in a newage is going to make it any more track capable than just sticking with what's there already.

As Duncan has said, newage engines/boxes are either the same, or, in most areas where changes have been made, better than the older ones (especially pre-99MY).

As John says, you are asking for a major headache trying to integrate a classic engine (especially pre-99MY) into a newage electrical and control system.

Give us more of an idea what you think you are trying to accomplish and it will be easier to advise you.
Old 05 January 2010, 05:36 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

If I remember this correctly the OP has bought a Blobeye Impreza which is missing the engine and gearbox , it was up for sale in the Marketplace section ( I should know as I was trying to buy the rear lamps from the aformentioned vehicle ).

For the OP I just have a thought why don't you just fit a newage engine, gearbox and ancillary parts into this vehicle? Surely this has to be far less hassle then 'making' a classic engine, gearbox etc. fit your car?
Old 05 January 2010, 05:42 PM
johngoulding
Scooby Regular

on the american scooby owners website they get the 2.5 rs which is a non turbo car and they ALAWAYS fit the bugeye dash to the classic shape imprezas , asked stevie whitson about doing this myself last year and he says its a lot of headache and a lot of money and time and that was pretty much putting newage stuff into classic cars so u r basically reversing the proces , just buy an engine and gearbox , lot cheaper mate and far far less hassle
Old 05 January 2010, 05:46 PM
johngoulding
Scooby Regular

the most difficult being the drive by wire if u have that , u may have cable drivven ? u would need to route new cable and do away with dbw or alter the cable you have the speedo clock would need adapting and all the sensor connectors would need classic ends crimped onto them not to mention that the classic parts had more cables so cables would need to be added / wiring diagrams read etc etc it would take at least the best part of 3-4 months considering that u are not a subaru technician , it may teke u less time but is in no way beneficial and is probably more expensive lol long post eh !! just dont go down that road mate