Notices

Oxygen Sensor = MAF ??

Search this Thread

Old 19 March 2002, 06:40 PM
adw555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a quick query. The Check Engine light came on, so I took the car down to the dealer, who plugged in the diagnostic tool. The report showed a failure in the Oxygen Sensor. So a new one has been ordered and will be fitted in 2 days...this is the second time this has failed. Is this the same as the MAF or Air Flow sensor that is connected to the air box ?...cos that's what was replaced last time...
Old 19 March 2002, 07:26 PM
JFB
Scooby Regular

Exact same thing happened to me last week and it was replaced for approx £120 including the dreaded. It was positioned behind the intercooler and looked like a spark plug embeeded into the exhaust manifold.

May be wrong and may be irrelevant but the mechanic noted the yellow discolouration on the sensor from the octane booster which I have only used in emergencies eg only normal unleaded available. But he did not think that contamination had anything to do with the failure.

The car is MY00, decatted and had a dump valve fitted before Christmas which does backfire on lift off so I have a feeling this is where the problem may lie.

Jerome
Old 19 March 2002, 08:06 PM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

AWD555

As Jerome says, the Lambda sensor is "the spark plug" type device located in the downpipe. The MAF is the device in the airbox just after the filter. It is not unknown for the MAF to be contaminated by excess oil - have you got an aftermarket filter or intake fitted?

Jerome

What type of octane booster have you been running? The discolouration you mentioned can be caused by lead used in some types of booster, but the lead will knacker the Lambda sensor. Always use the correct type.

Duncan
Old 19 March 2002, 08:36 PM
adw555
Scooby Regular

Question

thanks Bug-Eyed...

No the airbox is all standard...the readout definately said oxygen sensor failure, and I didnt think that meant they had to replace the MAF ? ...just wasn't sure if oxygen sensor and MAF were the same item..suppose the dealer should know what they are talking about...