Notices

Broken Nipple On Resonator Box!

Search this Thread

Old 01 January 2010, 06:26 PM
blueg14rep
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Broken Nipple On Resonator Box!

Great start to the year, Last night when I was driving my 95 impreza import home I noticed the heaters were not warming up at all. I looked at the temp level and it was on half like normal. Little bit later it started going up over the half way mark and wasnt stopping. So I pulled in and clouds of smoke poured out from under the bonnett, I lifted the bonnett to see if I could see where it was coming from and I seemed to be from under the resonator box/dump value area. Next minute, I have a small river coming from what seems to be the back of the engine

Anyway I got her home and topped her up with water, run her and the temp stayed under half and the heater where boiling and the dripping stoppped. I just went to have a look and the water in the tank had gone down but not a lot

Here is my first problem though, today when we removed the resonator box air box to try and make abit more room to work, but i noticed that i have broke something.
Its a small nipple that goes into what i think is the resonator at one end and what i think is the boost solinoid it is attached to the suspension turret at the other.

Can this be left open to air or does it have a more important roll and needs to be re-attached to the box??

Or is there something else I can do to sort this problem?

Any help is appreciated as yet again i will be stuck here at work untill i can get this sorted as I need to drive her up onto the ramps to have a look underneath.

Thanks Claire
Old 01 January 2010, 06:38 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

As you say, that nipple attaches to the BCS's bottom 'bleed' pipe for the WGDC's bled air to re-enter the intake tract.

But you don't necessarily need it. The bottom bleed pipe can just be left hanging free, venting into the engine bay. But if you do this, the res box's port (now a hole, lol) needs to be bunged - use a suitable sized self tapping screw or Araldite or somesuch.

Weirdly, this has been done to my WRX's res box, by a previous owner. He must've broken the nipple off too...
Old 03 January 2010, 03:09 PM
blueg14rep
Scooby Regular

See the little pipe sticking on the top of the right hand side of this photo, Thats what has broken off mine!
Old 03 January 2010, 03:25 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Yeah, as Joz says, just bung it

Could keep your eye on the for sale section or ebay for a new/used one
Old 03 January 2010, 07:25 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, there's usually one for sale at any given time on ebay - cheapest one available at the mo:-

Subaru Impreza Classic Sti/Wrx/Uk Turbo Resonator Box on eBay (end time 26-Jan-10 07:34:04 GMT)

Last edited by joz8968; 03 January 2010 at 09:58 PM.