is this a stupid question

Search this Thread

Old 27 December 2009, 03:23 PM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is this a stupid question

hi guys just want to know something?
ive got a vf23 turbo on my car with a baileyss dump valve with an adjustment on the end to make it soft or hard. anyway ive heard to vf20 series cant be ran dumpvalveless. if i adjust to make it hard will this make it as if it valveless. should i turn it back to make it soft.
sorry if it stupid question i just dont wanna bugger me turbo. thanks guys
Old 27 December 2009, 07:54 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

No turbo should be run without a dump valve on a petrol engine. The dump valve is there to dump excess pressure when the throttle is closedshut whilst the turbo is still boosting. If this did not happen the build up of pressure wuldcause the turbo to stall which would not be good for it.
Old 27 December 2009, 08:00 PM
gretts
Scooby Regular

it's never a stupid question if ye don't know something and you want to learn.
Old 27 December 2009, 09:08 PM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

thanks guys it just ive got it on hard at the mo. it only works on hard boost well i can hear it at this point but any other time light boost i cant hear it work. just wondering if this can ruin the turbo
Old 27 December 2009, 09:16 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by seddomyster
thanks guys it just ive got it on hard at the mo. it only works on hard boost well i can hear it at this point but any other time light boost i cant hear it work. just wondering if this can ruin the turbo
It's not possible to give you a black and white, yes it's safe, or not it's not answer.

Your original understanding of this ("vf20 series cant be ran dumpvalveless") isn't quite correct. You can run them without a DV, but the problem is that they tend not to last very long. The TD series cope with it a lot better/longer partly because they have a different bearing design.

So, coming back to your dumpvalve, if you run it "hard", you will be increasing the amount of shock loading your turbo experiences as compared with running it "soft".

However it is impossible for any of us to tell you whether this is enough to seriously compromise its ultimate working life. A good test would be to compare it with a standard Subaru bypass valve and see if it opens at the same sort of vacuum. I'd also suggest trying checking whether it leaks under boost with the valve set to "soft". If it doesn't, that would be the better way to run it.

Last edited by Splitpin; 27 December 2009 at 09:18 PM.
Old 27 December 2009, 09:36 PM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

yea mate what it was well when i had it mapped we had a leak somewhere but couldnt find it. we checked the dumpavalve by tightening it an kept it at that but its not leaked either adjusted soft or hard. so gonna run it around on soft adjustment. i dont like to give the car the beans but been mapped to 20psi an id say about 10 to 15psi the dumpvalve would work.
but anyways i asked the question because other day i read a thread about the vf30 series being better valveless than the 20 series an was brought to my attention an with my dv set on hard i kind of worried an want me turbo to last as long as it can. thanks for the input splitpin