Wideband Air / Fuel guage

Search this Thread

Old 21 December 2009, 04:43 PM
Wagwann
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wideband Air / Fuel guage

hey people

i am just woundering what are the benifits of having Wideband Air / Fuel guage?

i want to fit a few guages that will benifit the car and not just for show could anyone do me a favour and write a small list top most important to bottom not as important, also what they do

thanks
Old 21 December 2009, 04:57 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Wideband AFR will tell you what your air:fuel ratio is, accurately. It's almost essential if you are tuning, often very handy if you're fault finding, and also rather good as a passive indicator of the health of both your stock narrowband sensor and the mass air flow sensor, assuming you're on a Subaru or Apexi ECU.

However, a wideband kit is a lot of money for the utility it gives "the average user" (no slight intended). It's more an advanced tuning tool than something most end users would gain a lot of value from.

IMO you'd get more value from a knock monitoring device as that will give you advance warning of most of the failure modes likely to cause your engine severe grief. Boost gauge can be handy when it comes to detecting overboost, but doesn't tell you an awful lot the rest of the time.

First thing to say about any gauges is that IMHO they are all not a lot of use unless they have a memory or proper datalogging function. Otherwise you need about five pairs of eyes to look out the windscreen and at your dials while driving - and even then you're more likely to miss something important than see it.
Old 21 December 2009, 05:08 PM
Wagwann
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
Wideband AFR will tell you what your air:fuel ratio is, accurately. It's almost essential if you are tuning, often very handy if you're fault finding, and also rather good as a passive indicator of the health of both your stock narrowband sensor and the mass air flow sensor, assuming you're on a Subaru or Apexi ECU.

However, a wideband kit is a lot of money for the utility it gives "the average user" (no slight intended). It's more an advanced tuning tool than something most end users would gain a lot of value from.

IMO you'd get more value from a knock monitoring device as that will give you advance warning of most of the failure modes likely to cause your engine severe grief. Boost gauge can be handy when it comes to detecting overboost, but doesn't tell you an awful lot the rest of the time.

First thing to say about any gauges is that IMHO they are all not a lot of use unless they have a memory or proper datalogging function. Otherwise you need about five pairs of eyes to look out the windscreen and at your dials while driving - and even then you're more likely to miss something important than see it.
thanks for the fast reply, i have been looking for a knock monitor but i cant seem to find any. i do have a boost gauge already, and where could i find datalogging ones from as i cant even see what it boosts at as i concentrate to much lol

sorry about the question too but what does imo and imho mean

thanks once again
Old 21 December 2009, 05:18 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by louileach
thanks for the fast reply, i have been looking for a knock monitor but i cant seem to find any.
Phormula - Engine Knock, Detonation and Pre-Ignition Detection and Monitoring Systems

i do have a boost gauge already, and where could i find datalogging ones from as i cant even see what it boosts at as i concentrate to much lol
Exactly my point. And that's only one gauge. Add another two or three in there and it gets even more difficult to concentrate on what they're doing while still looking out of the windscreen!

Defi do recording ones although they're still not a full datalogging solution.

sorry about the question too but what does imo and imho mean
In my (humble) opinion.

thanks once again[/QUOTE]
Old 22 December 2009, 10:08 AM
Wagwann
Scooby Regular

Do you think defi ones are the best ones to go for?