Help need car won't select any gear

Search this Thread

Old 20 December 2009, 12:48 PM
webba23
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help need car won't select any gear

Hi,

I went to go out in my car this morning a 98 classic Type R it would not select any gear when the car was running. Car was warmed up thus morning but couldn't get it in any gear at all. When I turned the engine off it would go in all gears no problem. Have owned the car since October and never had any problems at all although when I drove it last night there was a strange noise when reaching the biting point in first but other than this no problems. I planned to leave it overnight and see how it was this morning.

I have never had any problems with the gearbox or clutch until now. Could the cold weather gave caused these problems or is it just coincidence?

Sorry if this is not all that technical I am a newcomer to sorting problems out myself and have a limited background with cars.

Cheers

Matt
Old 20 December 2009, 01:05 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

If it will select gears without problem when the engine is off, but won't when the engine is on, the obvious conclusion to draw is that your clutch isn't disengaging. This suspicion is added to by what you say about the "strange noise at biting point" yesterday.

Has the clutch pedal "gone light" or gone "less smooth" than it normally is? Is the pedal sticking down on the floor? Have you had any work carried out on the car recently that has required removal of the gearbox (or engine)?

First thing to do as far as diagnosing the problem is to check the clutch fluid level. Assuming it isn't empty, get someone to sit in the driver's seat and continually depress the clutch pedal while you stand next to the left front wheel and look underneath the intercooler.

If you can't see the slave cylinder and release fork moving back and forth in time with the pedal presses, the problem is almost certainly somewhere in the master cylinder/slave cylinder/fluid line. If you do see the fork moving, the problem is most likely the release bearing failing or disengaging from the clutch cover - which you might be able to rectify yourself, so tell us what you see.
Old 20 December 2009, 04:26 PM
webba23
Scooby Regular

Had the rac come and look at the car earlier and by the time they arrived all gears were selectable with no problems. When pulling away there's a nasty noise which is the clutch release bearing. Car is under warranty so will be going back in the new year. Will be ringing them tomorrow as I obviously want this done and to get them to look into why I couldn't select any gears earlier.

In reply to above. Gearbox and engine to my knowledge have not been removed. It is hard to know though as it was a fresh import. Since it arrived in this country it has only had a full service and new cambelt. The car is totally standard with regards the engine, transmission etc.