Notices

About to buy a downpipe - advice needed...

Search this Thread

Old 18 December 2009, 02:41 PM
baldfox
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to buy a downpipe - advice needed...

Hi guys, am about to purchase a downpipe with a sports cat (100 cell)...
The only two I seem to see mentioned on the web, are Japspeed, and on scoobyworld they sell a "ninja" downpipe...
Both are in the same sort of price band (around £250). Does anyone have any strong feelings for or against these ones ? I've seen some other makes but they're like £500+ and to be honest, don't think they warrant the extra cash. Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome.

Whilst am on the subject, am booked into a remap with Thwaites Developments... I have a 2005 STI, and aside from a back box and replacement center pipe, will be adding a walbro - can't wait! Does the downpipe really make that much of a difference ?

'foxy
Old 18 December 2009, 02:53 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Yes ! The cat in the down pipe is the most restrictive
Old 18 December 2009, 03:13 PM
scoobyhoobydoo
Scooby Regular

100 cell cat is less restrictive but some brands have stopped making the 100 cell version due to cars not passing the MOT and now have 200 cell cats. Speak with the supplier and see as if it doesa not pass at MOT time you will have to put the old cat back on
Old 18 December 2009, 05:03 PM
baldfox
Scooby Regular

Does a 200 cell cat make much difference from a 100? Remember I am coming from a standard downpipe... Will I still notice a difference ?

In an ideal world it would be decat all the way
Old 18 December 2009, 05:15 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

ninja sports cat is good,im running 300/300 with it in and has past the last 2 mots no probs,im going to be upping the power to around 340 soon and the ninja will still be in place,using full decat is great if u dont mind pissing about at mot time and to be honest u get virtually the same same gains if u use the ninja 100 cell sports cat,its also a very well made bit of kit.unless u are chasing every single last bit of horse power (5-10bhp) then the ninja sports cat is a gooden.
Old 18 December 2009, 05:25 PM
baldfox
Scooby Regular

Just had a chat with the guys at Japspeed, they put my mind at rest, and they just gave me a discount for being a member on here... £175 all in with gaskets and bolts...
Couldn't help myself

Thanks for everyone's responses.. I originally planned for the guys doing my remap to fit the downpipe, but if it's as easy as some people have mentioned, along with the walbro... would it be really risky for me to fit these items and use the car normally for a few days before the remap ? I am booked in for the 29th dec !

I know the car will not be exploiting all the potential of these bolt on's, but could it do it harm ?
Old 18 December 2009, 05:38 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by baldfox
Just had a chat with the guys at Japspeed, they put my mind at rest, and they just gave me a discount for being a member on here... £175 all in with gaskets and bolts...
Couldn't help myself

Thanks for everyone's responses.. I originally planned for the guys doing my remap to fit the downpipe, but if it's as easy as some people have mentioned, along with the walbro... would it be really risky for me to fit these items and use the car normally for a few days before the remap ? I am booked in for the 29th dec !

I know the car will not be exploiting all the potential of these bolt on's, but could it do it harm ?
would probably be ok providing u aint blasting it,i personally would run it but NOT on boost. dont know much about the japspeed sports cat.
Old 18 December 2009, 05:39 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

is it 100 cell u have bought yeah?
Old 18 December 2009, 09:50 PM
M@RKB
Scooby Regular

I've had a downpipe, walbro and turbo fitted by Mark at Thwaites, and for what he charges for an hourly rate it's probably not worth messing about yourself IMHO. Also that way you know your not going to do any damage prior to the remap.
Old 22 December 2009, 07:57 PM
baldfox
Scooby Regular

Were you pleased with the results ? May I ask what model yours is and what turbo you opted for ? There's a small part of me that's thinking to do the turbo too, but I am trying to force myself to behave... after a visit to Thwaites, he'll be open source remapping it, it will have a walbro, japspeed sport cat (100 cell) downpipe, aftermarket back box, and a replacement centre section... Not sure how much power that will make, but people tell me should be a lot nippier than standard (it's an 05 STI)...

Sure it's a matter of time before the larger turbo and injectors go on..
Old 23 December 2009, 10:25 AM
M@RKB
Scooby Regular

Yes mate very pleased and totally transformed the car (MY07 WRX PPP). He fitted the decat downpipe (jetex), walbro, STI TMIC and VF43 turbo.The hawkeye injectors were big enough for the job. Talk it over with Mark he won't give you any bull.
Old 23 December 2009, 02:11 PM
baldfox
Scooby Regular

Think I am going to just go with the remap and the above mentioned.. thought about changing the turbo, but I will see how the car goes after the above mods and see...think I might also get the geometry aligned set for fast road settings too, just to help me keep her on the road

Watch this space though.. am sure it wont be long until I'll be back !