head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 17 December 2009, 07:50 PM
mattpat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default head gasket?

i prob already know the answer to this deep down

heater was blowing cold today after engine warmed up,drove off started blowing hot again,stopped blows cold and water temp rises to about 95

bottom hose cold and had to top up expansion tank with about 1 litre of antifreeze mix

new thermostat earlier this year and a new radiator

theres no sludge in the oil cap and its not blowing steam but these are later symptoms aren't they?

am i right in thinking it is most likely early signs of a head gasket failure?

any input appreciated

cheers
matt
Old 20 December 2009, 07:53 PM
mattpat
Scooby Regular

any ideas ??
Old 20 December 2009, 09:05 PM
barnes_2k7
Scooby Regular

maybe maybe cracked head, same symtoms as my bmw, replaced everything then had to accept it was head gasket which when i stripped it down was fine, think it was a cracked head, i just replaced the engine.
Old 22 December 2009, 11:56 PM
Ayre
Scooby Newbie

I've just had exactly the same symptoms on mine. Had previously replaced the thermostat 2 months earlier then the overheating started again, there was a decrease in the amount of coolant. The bottom rad pipe was stone cold and the top one was boiling.... took it to my local mechanic and he said it sounded like the thermostat had gone again (in fairness, it wasn't a genuine Subaru part so I guess if you pay £15 for a thermostat like me, then it shouldn't be too shocking when it goes wrong so quickly !!) and on closer examination, the rad was also leaking. Just had the work done (with genuine thermostat this time...) and guess time will tell.

When I described the hot and cold rad pipes to my mechanic, the first thing he said was thermostat, so maybe it's worth replacing that again, especially if it wasn't a genuine part. As you've had a new rad, that should be fine so maybe check all the pipes and make sure nothings worn or leaking ??
Old 23 December 2009, 06:46 AM
m3dim
Scooby Newbie

I also had the same problems. Replaced the thermostat, no change. Then found that the end tanks of the radiator were leaking, so replaced radiator. All was fine for a while until the car started overheating again, but this time, water was bubbling out the expansion tank. This lead me to believe that the head gasket is just about on it's last. The car is at the mechanic, just waiting for the head gasket kit. Will let you know what I find.
Old 23 December 2009, 06:42 PM
mattpat
Scooby Regular

cheers for the replies

its been checked today,thermostat is ok and no obvious leaks or air blockages,no steam from expansion pipe
Also had the header tank checked for fuel emmisions but apparently this is not always a dependable test off boost
I had to top up coolant about 1/2 litre this time this morning
no overheating now but its still losing it some where slowly
my guess and advice is that head gasket is on its way out

now its just a decision on whether to pay out a few hundred to replace gaskets on a 115,000 mile block or while its out buy a 2.5 short motor
well i guess the second alternative is up to loan company approval

cheers
matt
Old 23 December 2009, 07:37 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bad news mate.

2.5 or a stroker kit, Matt.

Lateral Performance Ltd| Home | Christmas Special Offers | 2.1lt Subaru Impreza Stroker Kit (Rated To 550bhp) ..........Special Christmas Pricing.........