Notices

What are the differences in FMIC please ?

Search this Thread

Old 12 December 2009, 06:37 PM
naughtyhunnybunny
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the differences in FMIC please ?

I've emailed Harvey this afternoon but I'm just too plain impatient to wait for a reply
I've already got fitted to MY00 UK the Autobahn front mount but its one of the very early ones or so I was told after I bought it. What I would like to know is how much of a difference would it make to my car if any if I was to change this for the new GT2 Hybrid from Harvey ?
Are there any advantages ?
Would it need a remap if I did change it or would it be a case of plug n play as its already been mapped although this was about 18 months ago now ? My car seems laggy, even the mapper said so at the time and I was wondering if this may help the situation somewhat ?
Thanks Julie
Old 12 December 2009, 06:42 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

What turbo/power level are you running? The addition of any FMIC is going to increase lag to a certain degree thanks to the greatly increased volume of the inlet tract between the turbo and cylinders - so if you're still on the TD04 you'll get better throttle response with a good top mount.
Old 12 December 2009, 06:48 PM
naughtyhunnybunny
Scooby Regular

The turbo was changed for the TD05, its running 320.4bhp at the minute, well it was when mapped last year..
The mapper like I said commented it was a little laggy when he took it out himself.. Its fine I was just wondering If I could in fact help the situation by changing it as I think but not certain that the internals have changed somewhat over the years on them to improve this..
Old 12 December 2009, 09:40 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you may gain a little power and yes it would need a map tweak for it but I doubt it would effect the lagginess..

the couple I have seen that have changed have been more powerful cars and it freed up the top end a little and made it lean.. hence map adjustment needed.

possibly not much gain for your money but you could sell you core with the new pipework to regain some cost.

Simon
Old 12 December 2009, 11:01 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
you may gain a little power and yes it would need a map tweak for it but I doubt it would effect the lagginess..

the couple I have seen that have changed have been more powerful cars and it freed up the top end a little and made it lean.. hence map adjustment needed.

possibly not much gain for your money but you could sell you core with the new pipework to regain some cost.

Simon
Simon is the Autobahn interchangeable with the Hybrid then. If you have an Autobahn fitted can you just drop out the intercooler and pop in the new Hybrid Intercooler - keeping the existing autobahn pipework. No more cutting of the bumper? and I guess the pipework is the same diameter?
Old 12 December 2009, 11:08 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

think so but would need to check, and check the pipework on the hybrid isn't better..

cannot be sure what the couple of other cars I have done that went from one to the other did as I only did the mapping not the intercooler changes.

Simon
Old 12 December 2009, 11:09 PM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

The sound alone is worth getting an FMIC imo i also found the Hybrid on my old WRX classic mate it drive a lot smoother.

Trending Topics

Old 12 December 2009, 11:12 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
think so but would need to check, and check the pipework on the hybrid isn't better..

cannot be sure what the couple of other cars I have done that went from one to the other did as I only did the mapping not the intercooler changes.

Simon
OK thanks Simon.
Chances are the pipework might be better on the Hybrid
Old 13 December 2009, 01:47 PM
naughtyhunnybunny
Scooby Regular

Thanks to you all for your quick replies much appreciated.. I'm hoping to get to Surrey Rolling Road in the next 2 or 3 months so will be in touch Simon after crimbo to arrange a tweak.
Talking of tweaks is it normal/necessary to need to have one after a certain period of time in your opinion or is that just a waste of time and money, do things change over time ?
Interesting on the possiblities of just changing the intercooler itself and leaving the other pipework in situ but like you say need to find out a bit more 1st.
Thanks guys,
Julie
Old 13 December 2009, 02:16 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

i dont think you need to crazy with continual mapping unless ofcourse your constantly changing bits an peices

but a yearly check imo wouldnt go a miss - maybe speak to your mapper and see what they advise

it may show up possible problems that are slowly building up

plus for me its gives a bit of peace of mind, when your driving it "spirited" lol