Notices

98 Impreza 2.0 awd power upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 12 December 2009, 12:30 PM
skanny
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Impreza 2.0 awd power upgrade?

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum and hought i would drop in and say hi and ask you knowledgable folks a few questions

I have owned a track only impreza for the last 12 months now, its a 1998 Uk vehicle, the 2.0 Turbo AWD and to date i have done the following to it

Full OMP cage
adjustable coilovers all round
Performance rear exhaust section

Thats about it.

I probably do about 6 track days a year and it is great fun as it is but the engine has begun to loose a little water and the oil has started do dissapear too now.

It is shoeing 98K miles on the clock.

It pulls very well at the moment but i am hankering for more power, now is the time to decide what route i am going to take.

I need to address the oil / water issues over the winter one way or another.
My main question is what do i do, rebuild my current engine or drop another bigger / more powerfull unit in? which engine, from what car and what am i likely to need to make it fit / work in terms of wiring, ecu, sensors, fuel pumps etc etc?

i am totally confused with how many variants there are of these engines so go easy on the technical side of things with me!

Any suggestions greatly received as i need to be cracking on with getting some ideas on paper and some costs / timescales nailed down.

Many thanks
Skanny
Old 12 December 2009, 03:55 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Sounds as if your cylinder head gasket may have gone

More power?

Start with a full decat including downpipe. Then go for ported headers and a Harvey up-pipe.

If it's a 98 car, and you track it, I assume you've already done the (front) brakes????? If not, now would be a good time

To get much more power, you need a remap, which, on that car, isn't cheap, because you have to buy a new mappable ecu

So long as you keep the old cylinder heads, whcich are apparently good for 400bhp plus, you can go for a forged engine, or a 2.5 conversion, BUT: the 2.5 conversion produces too much torque for that gearbox to handle, so a 6 speed is needed, and now we are into big bucks.

HTH.