Whats my ecu?

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2009, 06:57 PM
Tigerfill
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats my ecu?

My car is a V3 sti

Had a thought before I go and buy a new ecu, I had better check what I have got already lol i think its a standard one but i thought i would put some pics up as some ecu's use the original case and i dont know what i'm looking at

thanks for looking Phil
[/IMG]
Old 22 November 2009, 08:45 PM
STI_Baly
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bottom board looks standard, the top board looks like a daughterboard as i can see an EEPROM on it....

What mods if any does your car have???
Old 22 November 2009, 09:05 PM
Tigerfill
Scooby Regular

cheers matey it's got a 3" full decat, a VTA dump valve, panel fitler and i think that's about it

here is another pic of the top board if that's any help

Phil
Old 22 November 2009, 09:09 PM
Tigerfill
Scooby Regular

and another

Old 22 November 2009, 09:18 PM
STI_Baly
Scooby Regular

It's quite interesting because i have a version 3 as well and i was not aware of a daughterboard for these? It is definitely a daughterboard running a calibrated map for the mods you have listed above as my V2 was similar.

I have seen many on the V1's and V2's but not V3 or V4, so if someone could tell us both it would be much appreciated....
Old 22 November 2009, 09:31 PM
Tigerfill
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STI_Baly
It's quite interesting because i have a version 3 as well and i was not aware of a daughterboard for these? It is definitely a daughterboard running a calibrated map for the mods you have listed above as my V2 was similar.

I have seen many on the V1's and V2's but not V3 or V4, so if someone could tell us both it would be much appreciated....

cheers matey fingers crossed
Old 22 November 2009, 09:52 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Know very little about the 97-8 ECUs but do have a couple of observations.

First one is that you can clearly see the Unisia-JECS "UJ" logo on the upper board, and taking the component layout of the two boards as a whole, whatever it is, it looks like it was built like this as it left the factory.

There also appears to be two socketed ROM chips, the lower one with the white sticker and the upper one (that's an EPROM, not an EEPROM btw Baly ), feeding the processor (the big square chip on the top board with 144-odd pins).

Very interesting given the well-known limitations of the "normal" 97-8 ECU. Tigerfill, can you tell us about (or show us a picture of) the label on the can?

Also, can you give us some closeups of those two rectangular ROM chips on the top board, the processor on the top board (the large square chip), and the large square chip on the bottom board too. I have a theory...

Last edited by Splitpin; 22 November 2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old 22 November 2009, 09:55 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

BTW, Baly, do you happen to have a picture of a naked 97-8 PPP ECU?
Old 22 November 2009, 10:08 PM
Tigerfill
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
Know very little about the 97-8 ECUs but do have a couple of observations.

First one is that you can clearly see the Unisia-JECS "UJ" logo on the upper board, and taking the component layout of the two boards as a whole, whatever it is, it looks like it was built like this as it left the factory.

There also appears to be two socketed ROM chips, the lower one with the white sticker and the upper one (that's an EPROM, not an EEPROM btw Baly ), feeding the processor (the big square chip on the top board with 144-odd pins).

Very interesting given the well-known limitations of the "normal" 97-8 ECU. Tigerfill, can you tell us about (or show us a picture of) the label on the can?

Also, can you give us some closeups of those two rectangular ROM chips on the top board, the processor on the top board (the large square chip), and the large square chip on the bottom board too. I have a theory...

hers a link to the photos i took but there not much cop taken on phone

http://s979.photobucket.com/albums/ae274/tigerfill/

i will take my camara to work and see if i get time tomorrow

as for the casing i believe it had a big 6 and poss a s next to it on the front and on the back it has a white lable in jap but defo had sti stamped in one of the boxes.

like i say i will get some more better photos tomorrow

Last edited by Tigerfill; 22 November 2009 at 10:10 PM.
Old 23 November 2009, 12:22 PM
STI_Baly
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
BTW, Baly, do you happen to have a picture of a naked 97-8 PPP ECU?
You dirty man...... When i get into the workshop mate i shall take a few pics of the ECU i have in the V3 Type r i have in there. I'm assuming it's a standard ecu TBH i haven't even had time to look at it, i'll be over the moon if it's a Mines...

Oh and the EPROM yep just noticed i obviously got carried away with the EE's

In the mean time if anybody has pictures of the V3/V4 ecu's please post them up. Thanks
Old 23 November 2009, 12:23 PM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

6s is the standard sti ECU. By the sounds of it an aftermarket daughterboard has been fitted in japan. There was also an Australin company that made daughterboards for the MY97-98 ecu. If it has been mapped for the mods you have now then all is good, You don't have a cat in hells chance of getting it remapped over here though.
Old 23 November 2009, 04:23 PM
scooby546
Scooby Regular

Here's a few pics of my V4 ECU in case this helps (not mapped as far as I know, only mods are exhaust (non-decat), IK and uprated spark plugs:

Cheers
Old 23 November 2009, 04:57 PM
STI_Baly
Scooby Regular

Nice one Scooby546 saves me some hassle. And also can confirm that your ecu is not mapped, as otherwise you would have had a 2nd board just like in the pictures above....

I'm wondering if anybody has a complete listing of what ECU's were installed in what Scoobs? Anybody got this info?

Last edited by STI_Baly; 23 November 2009 at 04:59 PM.
Old 23 November 2009, 04:57 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JONNY_693
6s is the standard sti ECU. By the sounds of it an aftermarket daughterboard has been fitted in japan.
The one thing that daughterboard doesn't seem to be is aftermarket. As per above it's got the JECS logo on it and the PCB design in general, plus all the silkscreening, is clearly the same as the lower board.

Thank you Scooby546, those photos are very revealing. Can clearly see from this ECU that the solder points for the ribbon cables on Tigerfill's ECU are present but unused on the "standard" one

In this image you can clearly see a large number of tracks from the main processor being run to the ribbon cable solder points. Tigerfill's ECU looks like a standard one with a genuine JECS piggyback board containing what looks like a second main processor and two ROM sources - at least one of which is reprogrammable.

It may of course be that there are loads out there just the same, but it looks very interesting. Would be very interested to see the label, and any part numbers on the chips Tigerfill.
Old 23 November 2009, 05:13 PM
scooby546
Scooby Regular

No probs guys, happy to help

Pete
Old 23 November 2009, 05:27 PM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

right this has made me want to have a look at mine for definately. i am runing a few mods and my boost psi sometimes hits 1.5 bar with no issues. so something is up with it. i will try and dig mine out tonight and if i cant it will have to be tomorrow. but i have a v3 sti so im very interested in the findings.
Old 23 November 2009, 05:46 PM
STI_Baly
Scooby Regular

I mean for me it's the first time i have come accross a daughterboard on a V3/4 ECU so the more I/we can find out the better.

The actual EPROM on Tigerfill's ECU is re-programmable, although i'm aware majority of mappers will not map this as it's just not worth their time and effort.

The v1 and V2 boards are available from Polar performance and i know power engineering used to use COBB daughterboards for their V1 and 2 ECU's as i have one indoors.

Possibly a matter of time and someone might do something with this, who knows....

Mr D let us know your findings.....I shall check my Type R Ecu and report back as and when i get time to pop down to see the car.
Old 23 November 2009, 05:59 PM
scoobyboothy
Scooby Regular

which period did they fit the ecu with "E3" on it? As I have a very late registered 98 (Dec 21) with this and the engine with the coil pack offset, does this sound right?
Old 23 November 2009, 07:59 PM
Tigerfill
Scooby Regular

Pictures by tigerfill - Photobucket

more pics
Old 23 November 2009, 08:08 PM
Tigerfill
Scooby Regular

Very very interesting anyone got an ideas/theory's!!

if it is re programable why is it harder/more effort than others? is it the software etc

Phil
Old 23 November 2009, 10:48 PM
STI_Baly
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboothy
which period did they fit the ecu with "E3" on it? As I have a very late registered 98 (Dec 21) with this and the engine with the coil pack offset, does this sound right?
Sounds like a version 5 to me....all v3's and 4's will have a central coil pack.
Old 23 November 2009, 11:37 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboothy
which period did they fit the ecu with "E3" on it?
99MY, UK Impreza Turbo 2000

As I have a very late registered 98 (Dec 21) with this and the engine with the coil pack offset, does this sound right?
Yes, totally right. A car registered in late 98 would be an early 99MY car, which ties with the ECU and what you've said about the offset coilpack.

Originally Posted by Tigerfill
Very very interesting anyone got an ideas/theory's!!
At least we now have a part number from the label on the back - 22611AD180, will do some research. Hopefully someone will recognise it!

if it is re programable why is it harder/more effort than others? is it the software etc
Pretty much, yes. Before any ECU can be remapped, you first have to establish a method of erasing and reprogramming the memory (which, on yours, would appear to be the easy bit, given the right equipment), but also you have to establish what the structure of the ROM is - which parts are fuel maps, which are the ignition, which are the wastegate duty and boost error, and so-forth.

Otherwise, your mapper might for example know that he wants to lean it off at a certain engine speed and load point, but he won't know what part of the ROM he needs to alter to effect the change, and unless he's hot with a hex editor he won't have the software to do it with either.

That only needs to be done once (with a few minor changes) for each ECU family, and once the knowledge is there, thousands of ECUs can be mapped with it. In your case you appear to have something quite rare, so you may find the costs involved in paying someone to work out how to remap it might be more than the cost of buying a Simtek or similar.

That said, it might also be that it uses the same or very simlar ROM format as the V1-2 cars, so if nothing else it might be worth getting it looked at by someone who can map those and seeing what the upshot is.

Last edited by Splitpin; 24 November 2009 at 12:03 AM.
Old 24 November 2009, 09:10 AM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

Very interesting. Subscribed!

*goes to pull his v3 ECU in bits*

Just a thought - Could it be that the 6s ecu is simply modified from the 1s ecu (wrx) with the addition of this daughterboard in order to be suitable for the v3 sti. I believe the 75 ecu pictured was fitted to v4 sti's.

Last edited by jonny_693; 24 November 2009 at 09:18 AM.
Old 24 November 2009, 10:46 AM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

i think everyone with a v3 and v4 both sti and wrx need to go and have a little look at there ecu so we can try and see whats going on here
Old 24 November 2009, 07:19 PM
Tigerfill
Scooby Regular

well did anyone get any pics for theirs