Notices

Ported Headers ??

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2009, 12:04 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ported Headers ??

would I have to get a map tweak on my 2006 sti if I was to have ported header fitted or is it just swap and enjoy ???
Old 22 November 2009, 01:32 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

you will need a remap to gain better spool and a som ponies, speak to harvey on here as he does carry out lots tests with his own ported headers
Old 22 November 2009, 01:43 PM
STI_Baly
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's a standard turbo i would only consider a ported up pipe. And there is no better person to speak to in regards to this than Harvey himself, as suggested by Mus.
Old 22 November 2009, 01:49 PM
MK2VTR8VALVE
Scooby Regular

Just got my headers & up pipe back from Harvey last week. Should be fitted tommorow them JGM map tweek on Wednesday. No other mods so will let you know how it turns out.
Old 22 November 2009, 01:51 PM
MK2VTR8VALVE
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STI_Baly
If it's a standard turbo i would only consider a ported up pipe. And there is no better person to speak to in regards to this than Harvey himself, as suggested by Mus.
I'll 2nd this. Harvey's very helpful
Old 22 November 2009, 05:39 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys I was already thinking of using Harvey and having a matched uppipe and heat wrapping it all. I was not sure if i needed a map tweak that's all, a bit of a bummer really as its going to double the cost with the map tweak, might have to wait next year then
Old 22 November 2009, 05:46 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STI_Baly

Just read your text properly is there gains to be had in just having the up-pipe done and not the headers I am still running the standard turbo and don't plan to change. I just fancied a simple upgrade and this sounded good ( quicker spool up and a few more horses)
Old 22 November 2009, 05:53 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe the point is that they are matched. Speak to Harvey mate, not sure of the cost/benefits on the hawkeye 2.5 with is already low down grunt ?
Old 22 November 2009, 06:07 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Good point, I don't really need extra power or response the car is running great, I was thinking out loud to be honest. I could do with a set of BC's tho! don't like the standard set up at all
Old 22 November 2009, 06:38 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I first ported Subaru headers I did the headers only and also ported the OE uppipe and there were reasonable gains to be had but I then discovered after some flow bench testing time that the OE uppipe was not condusive to good gas flow and we started to design our own uppipe. The first couple of cars that we fitted these uppipes to already had the ported headers and when we removed the OE uppipe and replaced with the purpose designed item the two owners of the cars in question reported quite marked improvements over and above what they had already experienced. I now have a total of six uppipes for use on OE header systems and the uppipe to be used depends on the spec and turbo in use and future intentions.
For best gains fit the ported headers and matched uppipe as a set. We will actually fit these for £75 all in which is a bargain.
You can fit the ported headers with matched uppipe and notice a performance gain and the ECU is capable of dealing with the new running conditions but to get the best from this mod you do need a remap at some point. Even without a remap you will notice an improvement in spool, the car will feel crisper and more willing and it will want to rev beyond the previous point where it started to become lethargic. Depending on the boost control you will also find that the car is capable of making a little more boost on exactly the same wastegate duty cycle. This is simply because the header system is that much more efficient with greater gas velocity.
Send me your email address marked "Headers" and I will send you a standard letter dealing with ported headers, uppipes and tubular headers.