Notices

ECU help

Search this Thread

Old 19 November 2009, 12:43 AM
Danowrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU help

I have a 97/98 UK spec Impreza 2000 turbo I want to mod it a bit it already has a full decatted s/s exhaust, and an induction kit but I was thinking of a slightly bigger turbo it has a TD04L on it now i've been looking at Andy Forrests AFP4H or a TD05H, and a bigger tmic and maybe 440inj.
I'm not looking for massive power maybe 300ish.But I have been told my ecu can't be mapped or have a esl/daughter board put in it, it is a 3 pin 8s ecu and the only way to go is Apexi, simtek etc... but going in this direction is usless for me as it would be a waste of time and money and with all the gubbings that come with them I won't use them as the car is a daily runner and family car, all I need is a remap and to slightly up the boost I belive mine is running 0.8 bar and would like to up it to 1.0/1.1

I know it's not ideal but have been looking at the HKS AFR and FCD because my brother will be getting rid of his in the near future that he has on his v1 wrx scoob and maybe a cheapish or even second hand boost controller.

Or can I put a slightly older or newer spec ecu i.e 96 or 99 and rewire the ecu by changing plugs (This is not a prob as me and a friend can do this) or is there a difference in the amount of wires going to the ecu?

Sorry for the long post and silly questions
Thanks for any advice

Last edited by Danowrx; 19 November 2009 at 12:55 AM. Reason: changed some details
Old 19 November 2009, 01:13 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

You can't use a 96/99/etc ECU in your car. Not only do you have to alter the loom quite fundamentally, key components on the engine and elsewhere are different and won't be compatible.

ESL are apparently close to a solution that will enable reprogramming on the 97-8 ECUs, so the sensible thing given what you're looking to do would probably be to hang back and wait a bit for that to mature.
Old 19 November 2009, 03:53 PM
L3YMS
Scooby Regular

I know exactly how you feel about the pesky 97/98 ecu limitations m8! You have to face facts that a pfc or similar standalone is the only realistic option for a proper remap. There is the SP ecu which is the prodrive one that you can fit but they are hard to find, some say not very high power, and the dealer has to reset the immobiliser unless you get it removed by a professional. Afaik you cant rewire a 97/98 engine to a 99/00 spec ecu as there are many differing sensor systems (97/98 used a jecs ecu 99/00 used a denso ecu). The sp ecu does raise the fuel cut and give propper mapping for up to about 1.2 bar of boost which can be achieved with a boost controller, this is the ghetto option. The super ghetto option is an mbc with a map clamp optimax and about 1.1 bar, but thats medium/risky and you are likely to melt something one day! I have run mine on an 8S ecu at 1 bar for over a year on 95 ron and it has been fine. The fuel cut is 1.05 bar stock so the mapping should support up to that point I would imagine.
Old 20 November 2009, 01:03 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Apexi, simtek etc... but going in this direction is usless for me as it would be a waste of time and money and with all the gubbings that come with them I won't use them as the car is a daily runner and family car
not sure what you think will make it not daily runner / family car friends by having it set up properly or how it will be different to that on a fcd and boost controller...?

Simon
Old 20 November 2009, 02:02 AM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

You don't say what your budget is.

Old 29 November 2009, 05:26 PM
Danowrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by his-n-her-scoobs
You don't say what your budget is.

My budget is quite limited

Simon i'm not saying the apexi wouldn't make it undriveable it's just a waste of money for a everyday family car thats not going to use the system to its full potential
Old 29 November 2009, 08:37 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you view point on fcd and safe running are all wrong..

you will use the apexi or simtek or any after market ecu to full potential because the engine will remain working.. you are skimping now when it will end up costing you dearly in the long run.. you seem to have made your mind up anyway so this thread seems pointless.

Simon
Old 29 November 2009, 09:07 PM
mbd sti2
Scooby Regular

this is THE man take in his words ^^^ it will cost you so much more if you do this wrong best to save and do it right, if and when esl get it sorted they do have a good product mine has been perfect and can always be tweeked when i change bits but who knows when it will be ready for your car
Old 29 November 2009, 10:33 PM
Danowrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
you view point on fcd and safe running are all wrong..

you will use the apexi or simtek or any after market ecu to full potential because the engine will remain working.. you are skimping now when it will end up costing you dearly in the long run.. you seem to have made your mind up anyway so this thread seems pointless.

Simon
Simon I haven't made my mind up about the fcd but I thought I would ASK people who know better than ME for any ADVICE so I wouldn't go and screw up big time and end up having to put a new engine in.

I know you are the man to listen to and I do respect what you say if it can't be done then it can't be done i'll have to just stay with what i've got and save my pennies.