Notices

Can it be done?

Search this Thread

Old 15 November 2009, 08:39 PM
apalmer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can it be done?

So, after discovering that i would have to shell out a fair bit of cash to straighten the scoob, i have decided to purchase a rolling chassis and transplant all the bits. I know a guy selling a 99 sport without engine and given that my car is an Impreza 99 V5 STI, i figure it to be a closer match as any!

Are there any particular structural differences other than the bonnet between these two cars that could cause an issue? My understanding is the shells and general dimensions are pretty much identical?

-A
Old 15 November 2009, 11:59 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I would imagine there are few structural differences, more about details, like ecu and fuel systems.... beware of low spec ARB's, driveshafts, etc.

IMHO

dunx
Old 16 November 2009, 06:00 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

well,from owning an my00 sport and a 1995 wrx from memory there is very little structual difference if any,the only thing i can think of is the clutch master cylinder/salve cylinder,since the sport is a cable clutch wondering if the mounting holes for the master/slave cylinder are there on the sport chassis,but apart from that,id say they are pretty alike.

if you are using your own driveshafts/wiring etc i cant see too many issues

good luck
Old 16 November 2009, 06:10 PM
fastmike
Scooby Regular

Your biggest problem will be insureing it
Your insurance company will see it as a sport fitted with STI engine , brakes , suspension etc....... NOT a STI with a sport shell fitted...... and ultimately it will be worthless when you come to sell it .
Old 16 November 2009, 07:43 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

shell wise I think it is just the support brackets under front wings / inner wings which bolt across.

obviously there are no anti-roll bars and all the turbo stuff and loom need swapping across..

Simon
Old 16 November 2009, 07:53 PM
m@t STImulation
Scooby Regular

dont know if this applys to you
if running gear and engine is change the vehicle will be subject to new tests, basicly a family freind has a mk5 fiesta with cosworth engine and AWD running gear, motec, space frame chassie ect. this was classed by his insurance comany as a kit car as it is so far from original his insurance dropped to £400 fully comp. However since the chassie is not being changed i dont know weather this will help in the situation you are in

you are right about resale. there wont be any, ut you could break it when your done
Old 16 November 2009, 08:43 PM
apalmer
Scooby Regular

Cool; resale is not a problem, the insurance company wrote the car off last year and paid out the relevant monies, since then been well spent However i put a lot of time effort and money into tuning the car, and i'd love to get it back on the road. The Murtaya is the ONLY kit car i have found that will take a boxer engine, none of the household kits caterham and westfield will do a conversion, probably due to the dimensions etc.. and the Murtaya whilst gorgeous is just too expensive..

Left with transplant option or break to sell, the latter is not favourable. Transplant raises questions around ideal donor shell pre 99 or not, would mean a lot of rewiring on an early to keep dash or find a blown 99 or 2000 post facelift which have higher residuals so...

Decisions decisions....

-A