Notices

Loosing boost between gears?

Search this Thread

Old 10 November 2009, 08:43 PM
Grant74
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loosing boost between gears?

Firstly, my issue! When pressing on, I am losing boost when changing fast between 2nd and 3rd, which I dont expect. In 3rd its still up there in the rev range (over 3k), just takes a second, and then singing again.

This is an issue, as I do some local comps, and thats a pretty important gear change for me!

Spec is

98 Classic
Hybrid FMIC
Simtek ECU
TD04
Viper induction kit
standard DV

Lots of other stuff, but all brakes, suspension, safety etc.

All ideas welcome. I did wonder if it was the FMIC, or if maybe running without DV for hillcimbs is the way forward?
Old 16 November 2009, 07:39 PM
Grant74
Scooby Regular

Anyone?
Old 16 November 2009, 08:51 PM
m@t STImulation
Scooby Regular

hard to anser the question as it equaly hard for you to explaint the problem running no dump valve will not aid you boost as the compressor/turbo will have to stall as there is nower else for the built up pressure to go. hope that helps

if your running a simtec mabe going to see your mapper is a good idea to make sure everything is as it shud be and mabe a tweak to meet your needs. jollygreenmonster has done my car and i highly recomend him

to aid spool of the turbo you could fit headers and a decat down pipe im not an expert on that im sure harvery on here can give you the info you need
Old 16 November 2009, 09:54 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Grant74
All ideas welcome. I did wonder if it was the FMIC, or if maybe running without DV for hillcimbs is the way forward?
Have you ruled out anything that could be summarised as a "fault" - e.g. less than optimal wastegate control, leaking dumpvalve, leaking pipework etc?

If so, it is probably worth refitting the TMIC to see if it makes a noticeable difference. The extra induction tract volume you've got as a result of the FMIC is far from ideal in the situation you describe. Whatever you may theoretically gain from cooler charge temps you are probably more than losing via the amount of time taken to repressurise everything between the turbo and the cylinders every time you change gear.

Blanking the DV might be worth a try to see if it improves things at all, but I suspect the intercooler (and its interaction with the small turbo) would be the most significant factor.

Last edited by Splitpin; 16 November 2009 at 09:56 PM.
Old 18 November 2009, 10:58 PM
Grant74
Scooby Regular

I think you could be right about the size of the turbo being part of the issue, but am going to doubke check all pipework for leaks- I have got a dump to atmos valve so could that as well, but dont like the noise.

I have a decat on already, and turbo has only done 25k, so feel comfortable with that. JGM did map it but think I will get him back after the winter.