Notices

Bing bong my scoobies dead........

Search this Thread

Old 08 November 2009, 05:53 PM
KAOS_JNR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bing bong my scoobies dead........

Hi guys i am not having much luck atm in a lot of ways but a load of good luck in others anyway i had the unfortunute event of meeting my loacal AA man today and i am think i maybe scoobyless for a bit now.

i have had an issue over the last month or so since it has got cold my car has not really liked starting and has been a bit lumpy but once warm seems to be fine boosting no problem.

So this morning was like no other lumpy but was fine after warm so during the week our washing machine died so we were off out to do some at the laundrette and the in laws. So i drive from my house in booker high wycombe to flackwell heath to do the washing anyway get it all sorted i drop down treadaway hill and along the london road i go up a hill and as i turn a left hand corner on boost i straighten up and continue and as i do so the car seems to loose power i dip the clutch to bring the revs up and the car seems to respond but almost imediatley drops to nothing and the engine stalls and will not restart. i checked everything that i could but to no avail...... Please help!!! thoughts ideas some glimmer of hope.

Cheers
Old 08 November 2009, 06:03 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Difficult to help you based on what we know so far. We don't need to know what street you were on when it happened, but we do need to know a few other bits and pieces!

When you say it "will not restart", what exactly do you mean? Are you telling us that the dashboard has gone dark, the lights have gone off, and the engine doesn't even turn over on the starter when you turn the key?

Are you telling us that all the dash lights come on as normal and it turns on the starter like normal but won't fire at all? Are you telling us it turns over and sounds like it's trying to fire but won't catch? It's this stuff we need to know to stand a chance of pointing you in the right direction.

If there's power to the dash, try connecting the black plugs under the dash and see if there are any error codes reported via the check engine light. Beyond that, answer the questions above and we can give you some slightly more specific advice.
Old 08 November 2009, 06:30 PM
KAOS_JNR
Scooby Regular

Sorry should have put a more specific's in the post well there is ignition lights and the engine turns over but does not fire initially after the stop it sounded like it was trying to fire but now does not...

I need to check the error codes

Thanks for your input
Old 08 November 2009, 07:09 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Yes, error codes next, and check all the fuses. If there still isn't an obvious culprit, look at spark and fuel injection.
Old 09 November 2009, 10:40 AM
ariser
Scooby Regular

I know its a longshot but try the 2 green fuses in the engine bay. Especially the one for the ecu/fuel pump. Mine blew a couple of months back. turned out to be a wire shorting on the engine on the offside front near the cam cover.
Old 09 November 2009, 01:40 PM
Tucker82
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ariser
I know its a longshot but try the 2 green fuses in the engine bay. Especially the one for the ecu/fuel pump. Mine blew a couple of months back. turned out to be a wire shorting on the engine on the offside front near the cam cover.
+1 on this. I had it a while back - baffled me for ages as the fuses all looked fine but was hard to see it had blown. I think I got a couple of spare ones somewhere. If it does turn out to be a fuse, I made my own temp one with some 15amp cable til I got some sent to me from Subaru....
Old 09 November 2009, 08:03 PM
KAOS_JNR
Scooby Regular

i'll be honest i brought some spark plugs today and had a little poke around and found that the fuel pump is working fine i also diagnostic checked it today and i got back two error codes

23 Mass Air Flow Sensor Circuit
45 Pressure Sensor

But i have also been advised that this could be a wiring issue or a ECU failure. I will also need to have a proper look at the fuses tommorrow.
Old 14 November 2009, 08:02 PM
KAOS_JNR
Scooby Regular

Well Fiestaboy can today and had a look in doing so changed my MAF and the pressure sensor this did not solve the issue. I had taken the right cam belt cover off and the belt looked ok but Richard took both ends off and it turns out that the car had slipped a cam belt and the timing was massively out so he retimed it up and the engine is now running but it turns out that the person had changed the cam belt on the car before i had it had butchered the middle cam belt cover so i have now got to find one Richard also said that he will be back next week to put the car back together and he has said give it a try and see if there has been any valve damage i am very hopeful that this is the case and i don’t have to get a new engine(Fingers Crossed)
Old 22 November 2009, 04:54 PM
KAOS_JNR
Scooby Regular

So after some diagnostics and a compression test it showed that there was a fair amount of damage done to the current engine. So i have pulled some cash together and next saturday having a sti3 type r bottomend and heads fitted. This engine has only got 43k miles on the clock against my 103k miles whilst fiestaboy was looking over my car he said that the engine that is in the car currently is the original. Whilst the engine is off i have a few bits to put on i have painted a spare intake manifold,ali air box pipe a metal expantion tank.