Notices

Steering column to rack joint...

Search this Thread

Old 04 November 2009, 11:14 PM
scoobyricht
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering column to rack joint...

Hi all had the mot done a while ago and one advisory was the column to rack joint, a lot of play so changed the joint for a new one but cant get the steering wheel straight. One spline on the joint either way is either out left or right, no in between. should i adjust it on the wheel its self which seems glued on or do it via the tracking?

very annyoing driving with the wheel on the p1ss.

Thanks
Rich
Old 05 November 2009, 04:18 PM
r1c
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adjusting this via wheel alignment will give you further problems as it is not the problem, is the joint correct? Were the wheels straight before you removed the joint? Most of these style uj's only fit on in one place, don't know if it's true for the impreza but I would of thought so. How far out is the steering wheel? Can you remove it again and ensure both roadwheels and steering wheel are in the position you want them to be. Did you do this on a ramp?
Old 05 November 2009, 05:32 PM
scoobyricht
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wheels where pretty much straight before taking the joint off as was the steering wheel but due to the play in the joint the wheel could move about an inch each way off center. when i slid the joint up the steering column splines and off the rack splines i had to let go and the wheel turned under the weight of the joint hanging.

So when putting the new joint on i had someone to hold the wheel but the joint wouldnt go on the rack end unless the wheel was turned a little bit either left or right.

The Joint was identical to the one removed except for the play.

Going in a straight line on the motorway the wheel is about an 1/8th of a turn, no pulling and goes perfectly straight.

Thanks for the reply

Rich
Old 05 November 2009, 06:08 PM
r1c
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I would probley do myself is either take it off the rack and try going round anther spline to straighten the wheel. Or get the wheels dead straight ignore the steering wheel remove and refit the joint using the steering lock to secure the steering wheel and see how it is then