Notices

V5/6 Big end failures, should i buy another scoob.....

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2009, 11:27 PM
cts5555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V5/6 Big end failures, should i buy another scoob.....

Hi guys,

About 4 years ago i bought a fantastic P1 with 58k on the clock and full history, unfortunatly within a month the big ends failed, shortly after some spirited driving, the result was a £3k bill for a newage shortblock fitted and mapped from Powerstation. I kept the car for 18mths and absolutly loved it to bits, but was crippled financially after paying £12k for the car then having to spend another £3k straight away for the rebuild, plus numerous other running repairs during the ownership.

Anyway, the bug is taking over again and i have recently sold my car and on the lookout for another scooby, my plan was to buy a newage sti which has the redesigned block and improved oil delivery design ( correct me if wrong ) with around a £6500 budget. But.....

I have just been offered a friends V6 STI with a genuine 38k miles and full history jap and uk for a great price. The car has a number of expensive mods such as Tein suspension, Power FC, FMIC etc and is a very nice example. I am concenred about the common big end failures that seem to crop up on the 99-00 cars and would like to know what can be done to minimise this happening?

The car has just had a timing belt and service, but if i purchased i plan to :

Full fluids change and service with ones reccommended by OPI oils.
RCM modified oil pump
Map checked and tweaked by BRD
Anything else that can help keep the engine together for a little longer than the P1 lasted????

Thanks for reading.
Old 04 November 2009, 12:20 AM
Ozzy_B
Scooby Regular

Just a few points such as

When doing an oil change pre-fill the oil filter and crank the engine over to build oil pressure, some see it as **** but it only takes an extra few minutes to do.

Dont hold the car at a high speed for a long period of time.

The MAF's are quite fragile so be aware of the signs of one going, such as fluctuating rpm on idle.

Only use 99 RON fuel such as V-Power.

If you have been sat in traffic for a while dont give it WOT until you have driven a few miles to cool the intercooler.....saying that ive just noticed you have a FMIC so shouldn't apply as much.

Maybe get oil pressure oil temp guages to keep an eye on things.

Touch wood.

Don't walk under ladders etc
Joking about the last two, and am sure theres probably a few more things you can do to try avoid the dreaded rattle, but just drive with abit of mechanical sympathy ie dont over abuse it and you should be ok.

Last edited by Ozzy_B; 04 November 2009 at 12:22 AM.
Old 04 November 2009, 06:55 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might be worth getting a sample of the engine oil and send it off for analysis - it would highlight any potential problems internally.
For the £20 or so it costs to have it checked - it could save you a lot in the long run.

Mick
Old 04 November 2009, 08:06 PM
cts5555
Scooby Regular

Thanks ozzy

Merlin - thats interesting, so you have further info or a web link that i can look into this?
Old 05 November 2009, 03:03 PM
Sc0oby
Scooby Regular

if you could afford to get in a newage motor it worth the investments plus its much stronger n more reliable