Notices

Car popping and banging violently.

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2009, 05:14 PM
WhiteWagonMan
Scooby Regular

Location: Trying to pull a 10 second 1/4 mile running a standard 2.0ltr engine...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car popping and banging violently.

My car is a 99 uk turbo and it is popping/banging very loudly,as soon as the car is warm it starts letting off some serious noises.Some of them are so loud/powerfull i can feel them through the drivers seat,i getsome very strange looks from the public i can tell you,not to mention drivers behind me dropping back and moving over away from me.i have a full 3" decat cobra exhaust fitted from ExhaustsUK,with no boxes in the system only the resonator.it has a K&N panel filter in the box fed by a direct cold air feed from the front lower grill straight into the airbox with the wing resonator box removed.i recently fitted a vf23 to replace the td04 and plan to get it mapped by JGM after xmas when the fmic,intake kit,and walbro fuel pump have been fitted.Is this kind of behaviour normal for these mods,is something wrong with the car,can someone please put my mind at rest as its really starting to worry me to the point of not wanting to take the car out...PLEASE HELP.
Old 03 November 2009, 05:31 PM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

it will be a weak mixture mate. when jgm remaps it, it will be perfectly fuelled for your mods an he can even give u the choice of the crackling an popping out of the exhaust when decellerating. thats my thought but i got exact same mods except fmic an got 310bhp. good luck mate
Old 03 November 2009, 05:49 PM
New_scooby_04

Oooooooh I'm not sure I like the sound of that mate....especially with those mods unmapped. Your fueling, ignition, everything is going to be well off!

Keep the car off boost or I'd say your engine is on borrowed time! Get it mapped asap!!!!!!!
Old 03 November 2009, 06:47 PM
Shmerman
Scooby Regular

You change the turbo for a bigger one, without mapping, and your worried its not running right?

Why not fit the whole lot just before you get it mapped?

As NS04 says you are pushing your luck here mate.
Old 03 November 2009, 07:14 PM
WhiteWagonMan
Scooby Regular

Location: Trying to pull a 10 second 1/4 mile running a standard 2.0ltr engine...

i am driving off boost until i can get it mapped,it just worries me that it does it off boost also,as soon as i change gear or lift off the juice in the same gear.im running it on v-power only and have done since i bought it,would it help if i added some octane booster to it or is that not a good idea.
Old 03 November 2009, 08:07 PM
just123
Scooby Regular

I too have a MY99 got a VF29 turbo fmic from Harvey on here its a GT2, K+N induction kit, been told its essential that it gets remapped when all fitted

Harvey is doing a cracking price on the Hybrid GT2 fmic also fits them very reasonable
Old 03 November 2009, 08:21 PM
TingTongPJ
Scooby Regular

i'd put the td04 back on till you can afford to get it all done properly, or don't use it till you can.

would'nt want it all to end in tears for you, rebuilds are expensive.

Trending Topics

Old 03 November 2009, 10:30 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

^ Good advice.
Old 03 November 2009, 10:39 PM
njberrie
Scooby Regular

i ran my car with a bigger turbo, fmic, induction kit, 440s,fpr and 255 fuel pump for about a month and it wasnt great but didnt do any harm just fit an air/fuel gauge and keep off the bost mate
Old 03 November 2009, 10:44 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by njberrie
i ran my car with a bigger turbo, fmic, induction kit, 440s,fpr and 255 fuel pump for about a month and it wasnt great but didnt do any harm just fit an air/fuel gauge and keep off the bost mate

Just because you got away with it dosent mean he will, personally Im surprised you did get away with it TBH
Old 03 November 2009, 11:08 PM
njberrie
Scooby Regular

most of my mates have done it and never had any problems untill they tried to give it sum
my mate runs a full decat, 255 walbro, air intake, fpr and hasnt mapped
Old 03 November 2009, 11:26 PM
Stealth
Scooby Regular

If you keep the car off boost you will have no grief what so ever running the changes that you have made, the car, jus do no belt it at all and you will be golden!

But get it mapped as quickly as possible because sooner or later (and I bet sooner) you will end up bored and give it a stuffing and cause some damage!
Old 03 November 2009, 11:30 PM
Shmerman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by njberrie
i ran my car with a bigger turbo, fmic, induction kit, 440s,fpr and 255 fuel pump for about a month and it wasnt great but didnt do any harm
Did you strip the engine down? If not how do you know it didn't do any harm?

People should by careful about the advice they give on a public forum.

most of my mates have done it and never had any problems untill they tried to give it sum
my mate runs a full decat, 255 walbro, air intake, fpr and hasnt mapped
This isn't the same.......as long as the fuel pressure is set the same as standard then it will make very little difference. Sticking a differnent turbo in is totally different.

Last edited by Shmerman; 04 November 2009 at 08:49 AM.
Old 04 November 2009, 12:53 AM
scooby2004Lee
Scooby Regular

Id like to just point out that if it is doing it even when he is not boosting then clearky there is a reaction at all times! when i fitted my bigger turbo, changed my injectors and fuel pump i was told to only drive it to my remap! that is the best advice mate, you really should remap straight away! just leave it till you can afford a remap, THATS ONLY MY OPINION, please nobody take that the wrong way! Plus if you need good advoce PM split pin!
Old 04 November 2009, 01:02 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Ahem, thanks for the compliment Lee, but if you need good advice, post on the forum! Gives everyone the opportunity to read and contribute - and far more likely to come up with the right answer!
Old 04 November 2009, 11:33 AM
WhiteWagonMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
Ahem, thanks for the compliment Lee, but if you need good advice, post on the forum! Gives everyone the opportunity to read and contribute - and far more likely to come up with the right answer!
The only problem i have now mate is half the replies say its ok if i stay off boost and get it mapped A.S.A.P,and the other half say the car is on borrowed time.i plan to get it mapped at the end of january by JGM as there is a few of us wanting to get it done at the same time,and cant afford to do it sooner with xmas approaching and two kids to sort out first...OH AND THE WIFE.

Last edited by WhiteWagonMan; 04 November 2009 at 11:34 AM. Reason: CENT SPEEL TWO SUVE MI LIVE
Old 04 November 2009, 11:41 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

mate did exactly what you've done, his engine went bang before it was mapped. so my advice get the mods off untill ready for mapping, just not worth the risk.

scoobs arn;t the kinda car you can throw mods at and they'll be ok, needs to be set up properly to make sure not only gets the best out of the mods but also rusn safely.
Old 04 November 2009, 11:42 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

also, with temps only going lower over winter the airs gonna get thicker and muck around with it even more, turbo'd cars always pull stronger in the cooler temps of winter, so not being setup right will only magnify the issues
Old 04 November 2009, 12:41 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WhiteWagonMan
The only problem i have now mate is half the replies say its ok if i stay off boost and get it mapped A.S.A.P,and the other half say the car is on borrowed time.
Where in doubt, apply the precautionary principle, it's simple enough. Even if it is "okay off boost", you'll be better off refitting the standard turbo and being able to drive the car normally than you will spending three months trying to tiptoe around and sh*tt*ng yourself every time the engine makes an odd noise. Fit all the mods immediately before having it mapped.

Apart from anything else, if you refit the standard turbo and find it's still popping and banging, chances are you accidentally broke/disconnected/displaced something while swapping the first time, and if so you need to find out and get that sorted sooner rather than later.

I don't see what's difficult to work out here. If you can't enjoy the new turbo properly (which you can't until it's mapped in), what's the point in having it on the car in the first place?

Last edited by Splitpin; 04 November 2009 at 12:45 PM.
Old 04 November 2009, 01:01 PM
incarsolutions
Scooby Regular

Is it popping and banging on or off throttle?? if its on overrun it will pop and bang simply because you've got a straight through system with no boxes as its burning the unburnt fuel in the exhaust. People are probably backing off from the car because of the odd flame coming from the exhaust. mine does it all the time off throttle and it can be quite fun scaring old ladies!! but seriously get the turbo changed back until it can be mapped as the uk ecu's are a nightmare when it comes to having upgrades fitted

Last edited by incarsolutions; 04 November 2009 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04 November 2009, 06:08 PM
WhiteWagonMan
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the help guys,much appreciated..Yes mate its only doing it off throttle when lifting off in the same gear or when clutch in and changing gear.It did make the odd pop and bang before i changed the turbo and removed the final box from the exhaust,but usually on high boost or under load etc,now its more often and louder and more powerfull.i`ll just have to take it real easy until mid january and keep it off boost,to be honest its that laggy at the moment compared to the td04 that it dont come on boost until well after 3000rpm so its quite easy to drive it slowly.I cant afford to have the turbo removed and then fitted again for the mapping so thats not an option for me,i`ll just have to treat her like a virgin on prom night and take it reeeeeeal easy for a few weeks,thanks again for the help fellas.

Last edited by WhiteWagonMan; 04 November 2009 at 06:11 PM. Reason: oooooops
Old 04 November 2009, 06:42 PM
milliemoo
Scooby Regular

modern engines,tighter emmisions,ecu regulated fuelling etc shouldnt see unburnt fuel in the exhaust surely,unless its running inncorrectly or its been mapped like that.i may be wrong!!
Old 04 November 2009, 07:27 PM
incarsolutions
Scooby Regular

its a turbo engine they will overfuel naturally on overrun its the nature of the beast and we're still talking about a ten year old car here with no cat or silencers in the exhaust