Petrol Smell during cold weather 02sti

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2009, 02:38 PM
b11fyn
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Petrol Smell during cold weather 02sti

Hi all,

I have a 02 wrx sti uk ppp, and i noticed during the cold weather a really strong petrol smell on start up...i checkd every thing that i could think of...but could find where the smell had come from...it seemd to go away when the warmer spring summer weather was here,, then this week when it has been cold the smell has come bk....anyone know`s wot could b causing this..

thanks

shaun....
Old 03 November 2009, 03:53 PM
marko72
Scooby Regular

My bug did the same last year. Smell goes away when its warmer.I searched the net and found a fix. I think it was on the NASIOC website. I recall people talking about taking the fix along to a sub dealer and geting it sorted. I had forgotten all about it so will wait and see if it happens again this year. Previous receipts for servicing on my car had mentioned this and no faults being found. Check NASOIC website.
Old 03 November 2009, 03:58 PM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

I have heard of this problem with the bug eye scoobys and this is a problem alot of them suffer with, I have a smell on my clasic the other week and it turn out to be a house clamp was not tight eneough and needed a new one
Old 03 November 2009, 05:23 PM
KLR16V
Scooby Regular

Common fault on bugeye had the same on my 2002 sti last winter , pop the bonnet and look at the fuel rail that runs under the inlet manifold on the left side there are two short rubber hoses that join the metal pipes and also one on far right side these start to go ridgid and loose there flexibility , in the cold weather the metal pipes contract more than the rubber hoses will return to there original size and thus leak . To check pop bonnet and get someone to turn ignition on to prime fuel system do this 2 or 3 times and you will smell fuel and see a small amount leaking from one of the rubber hoses . Bad news is there is no access to the rubber hoses or the clamps to tighten them , sadly it is inlet manifold off car , turn upside down ro reveal rubber hoses i bought new hose from local motor factors £3 and replaced them all 2 new inlet manifold gaskets £12 and then put back together . Remove top mount and then start to dissconnect all electric connectors it takes time but you can't mix them up garages will charge a fortune as labour intensive job inlet manifold lifts off with wiring loom and fuel lines attached to under neath have to disconnect turbo inlet pipe so check this for any damage or wear if any found replace as it is also a inlet manifold off job to change this , alot of people use this oportunity to do the parallel fuel mod it up to you , you would need a reg £75-£100 and adaptor these can be purchased off a guy on scoobynet might be called carl do a search . Its a pain off a job but you can't leave a fuel leak problem .

Mark
Old 04 November 2009, 09:29 AM
b11fyn
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info/fix guys, looks like manifold off it is then.

thanks again

shaun....
Old 04 November 2009, 09:37 AM
b11fyn
Scooby Regular

Hi mark,

Just a qwick question, wot is a parallel fuel mod?

regards

shaun...
Old 04 November 2009, 02:07 PM
KLR16V
Scooby Regular

At the mo you have one feed in to fuel rail and then out the other end some people say you have the potential to run lean at end of fuel rail do a search it is better explained .

Mark

Trending Topics

Old 01 December 2009, 09:41 PM
pmarch bugeye
Scooby Regular

I have an MY2001 bugeye and after years of putting up with the cold start petrol smell problem, there is now a more serious and visible petrol leak. Dealer confirms it is a inlet manifold off and labour intensive job and recommend renewing all the fuel hoses etc. plus whilst there they will do the modification to replace the hose/pipe assembly as per standard length assembly as fitted to Blobeye onwards (Subaru Bulletin No. 09-36-03 dated 04/01/03). I've bitten the bullet and said go ahead and do all inc. modification and it's going to cost #500 all in inc. VAT. It sounds a lot but the mod would cost #250-300 alone as the labour and method is same as doing the fuel leak work (which alone would be #400). The fuel leak HAS to be done as it's now dangerous, but I'm looking at it that the mod is only costing #100 and I have wanted to have it done for five years now. I'm thinking "every cloud has a silver lining"... the wife doesn't think so as her cup is half empty.
Old 01 December 2009, 10:28 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A customer has to pay £500 for a dangerous design defect
Old 02 December 2009, 11:47 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried to ask international motors for a goodwill gesture on this
I wouldn't pay if I were you, is it on record that you've been asking for 5 years?
Old 02 December 2009, 03:47 PM
KLR16V
Scooby Regular

I would do it yourself for a cost of £20 for inlet gaskets and new hose , you could do the parallel fuel mod at same time so remove the solid fuel lines and replace all with rubber all you need to purchase is a fuel pressure reg and adapter and length of fuel hose regs are about £80 - £100 and adaptor is off someone on here i think called carl for £30 . £500 is a joke its not hard to do as you can't mix any plugs and sockets as they are all different just note the colour on ht leads caps and the fuel lines on the fuel filter put mine on the wrong way kept me guessing for a while , check condition of rubber turbo inlet pipe as these can split .

Mark