Need rear shocks for a 2005 newage STI

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2009, 04:25 PM
PJ-STI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need rear shocks for a 2005 newage STI

Hi All

I need some rear shocks for a 2005 newage (blobeye) sti and I have been trying to get some kyb ones with no luck. There is so many different types!! I have rang about 4 companys, one said they could get them and gave me a kyb part number 321009 & 321008 but when I looked at the kyb website they are for a earlier car 2000-2002 others need my old shocks part number which I don't know were that is. I thought they could just do it on the reg or vin. The kyb website only list upto 01/04 cars?

Is there anyone out there that can help I don't want to spend £650+ on coilovers or £1000 subaru dealer prices, I just want to replace my rear shocks with stock ones like kyb.
Old 02 November 2009, 06:09 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Hi mate I have the same problem. I have a 2006 STI which are slightly different to yours and even harder to get hold of .
KYB are still under licence with Subaru for my year of car, so im going to save up for the BC's. Have you got the dreaded knock on the rears ? If so there's no performance fault with them ,just bloody annoying So if you can live with it for a while try saving and get something that's not going to start knocking again
Old 02 November 2009, 07:31 PM
PJ-STI
Scooby Regular

Oh yes they knock Only at low speeds pulling away and stopping. They sometimes feel abit skitish as well. Looks like I will have to wait as well.

Shame I justed missed out on that group buy for BC racing coilovers
Old 03 November 2009, 06:54 PM
PJ-STI
Scooby Regular

Is there no one out there to help. Is my only option BC's?
Old 03 November 2009, 10:53 PM
handsome rob
Scooby Regular

Hi, I would'nt get the KYB ones without more advice, im sure i,ve seen on here before that someone else tried them on the back and it messed the handling right up as the were valved differently to the gen subaru ones .
Old 03 November 2009, 10:57 PM
STI Mav
Scooby Regular

Daft as this is going to sound, but can someone describe what the knocking sound on the rear shocks sounds like ??

I have this metallic type knocking noise that's apparent at virtually all speeds but mainly when on bumpy or uneven roads. Almost sounds like someone's doing morse code from the boot of my car at times ?? Sound like knocking rear shocks ??

In all honesty if that's what it is i'm fine with it, just driving me nuts not knowing at the moment :-S
Old 05 November 2009, 10:01 PM
STI Mav
Scooby Regular

Sounds like there is a quick fix that's worth trying for the knocking rear shocks on the 2006 STI.

Took this off ScoobyPedia,

"good or bad ive got an 06 sti and started to get a clunk in the lh rear strut. i bought a can of white lithium grease, jacked up the car till the wheel was off the ground, went behind the wheel, pulled up the dust boot and sprayed for couple seconds. quick fix i know but havent heard anything in 8k miles and it took all of 3 minutes"

Sorry for sounding dense but what does he mean by the dust boot ?? If it's that quick and easy to try this I want to give it a go to see if it helps at all.

Trending Topics

Old 05 November 2009, 10:09 PM
handsome rob
Scooby Regular

its the black plastic shroud behind the spring , slide it up so you can see the shiny part of the shock ,and grease that bit.
Old 05 November 2009, 10:17 PM
STI Mav
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by handsome rob
its the black plastic shroud behind the spring , slide it up so you can see the shiny part of the shock ,and grease that bit.
Cheers fella - for the sake of a can of lithium grease this is worth a shot if you ask me !!
Old 05 November 2009, 10:30 PM
handsome rob
Scooby Regular

It does work , but sometimes it lasts a few weeks and other times only a couple of days, am getting fed up doing it now though, BC coilovers nextyear
Old 05 November 2009, 10:40 PM
PJ-STI
Scooby Regular

I have not tried the grease but for the time being I can live with the knocking. After xmas I think it will be a set of BC's as the reviews seem very good. I can buy and fit a full set cheaper than it is to get 2 rears done at Subaru
Old 05 November 2009, 10:41 PM
STI Mav
Scooby Regular

Does yours get worse in the colder weather ??
Old 05 November 2009, 10:46 PM
PJ-STI
Scooby Regular

They are at there worst from cold and when I pull away and stop. Any speed over 5mph I don't notice the noise (could be by back box).
Old 06 November 2009, 05:49 AM
s60tyn
Scooby Regular

my 05 blob has the exact same problem! Mine were changed by Subaru under warrenty and the dreaded metallic noise is back and its the same side near side rear. Looks like a can of lithium grease for me too. Worth a try me thinks cause the noise is driving me mental!
Old 25 November 2010, 10:19 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STI Mav
Does yours get worse in the colder weather ??
Dragging this thread back to life how does the cold make a difference? Im curious as I have noticed a 'graunching' noise coming from the front left when going over speed bumps This has come about at exactly the same time it has got so cold Why is that?