Notices

General Maintenance Rant.

Search this Thread

Old 17 October 2009, 07:37 PM
RedScoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General Maintenance Rant.

About that time of year for the annual service, I thought... So armed with fifty of the finest Queens pounds I went to the Motorist Centre.
I don't know if it's a sign of the recession, but these guys were really helpful! 2 of my front bulbs had gone (thanks to subsidence of a road I use on my way to work) and they advised me which replacements I should have, as well as making sure that the oil and filter correctly matched the specs from the manufacturer. So, £20 for some high power headlight bulbs, £3 for sidelight bulbs (the non-bayonet style for the classic Impreza as they rightfully told me...), a keg of oil and an oil filter (£27 for the lot), plus a couple of fuses and I was sorted.

Changing the oil was a piece of cake. Just undo the sump plug (with a suitable recepticle under it) and leave it drain while the engine is still warm (but not running, you bozo). After around 10 mins you can replace the plug and move your pan under the oil filter. Today, the filter was steadfast. Despite all the grunting, cleaning, groaning and 10 rubber gloves it was clear that it wasn't going to shift. Time for the screwdriver trick - job done! Prepare to get your right hand covered in oil for that bit. There is no way to avoid it! Fill the new filter with oil and allow the oil to soak in the filter for 5 mins or so, grease (or oil) the rubber seal and refit. Make sure it's tight. Top up with oil until you're on "Max" on the dipstick. Start 'er up and run for a minute or so. Allow the level to settle before taking another dipstick reading to check that the level is still ok.

Changing the plugs in an Impreza makes me shiver in anticipation. The most energy efficient was of doing it (as far as I can tell) is from the top. Remove the top of the airfilter housing and the MAF (don't forget to unplug the MAF from the loom) and place them somewhere clean and dry. On the passenger side, remove the battery. Now you have access to all four plugs. Use a ring spanner to remove the coilpacks from each of the plugs, and then get in there with your plug socket. I don't know why, but the spark plugs are too far into the block for a normal 1/4" extension bar. Luckily I had an odd sized one so I could get decent leverage on the rachet. It's really worth getting these odd sized bits for your tool kit, especially when my plugs come out once a year. Inspect the plugs for any sign of variation or unusual colouring (may as well while we're here!). Mine were clean with a reddy-brown residue with no hint of deterioration. Slap the new ones in an torque them up. Replace all the other bits you took off. There goes half an hour of your life that you'll never get back.

Headlights and side light bulbs. The only thing to really comment on here is that the sidelights are fiendishly confusing if you don't know how they're put together. The each have a single philips screw that must be undone on the slam panel. Then it's a case of brute force and ignorance to pull the units out forwards (not sideways!!) until the ball and socket joint releases them. You can now easily access the bulbs. Refit the units and replace the screws. Job done. 5 minutes. Tops.
Headlight bulbs are so easy that I won't even insult you by describing the process. Oh, don't touch the bulbs with your hands (or any other body part, you weirdo).

Okay, so, check the gearbox oil, coolant, PS fluid and brake fluid levels. All fine (don't you love Imprezas?). These get replaced in 6 months, so it's just a cursory check.

All done. Probably won't make her go any faster, but she'll go fast for longer.

Next week: Brake pads, tyre pressures, suspension bushes and why Chinese LED bulbs are bad.

There's probably omissions and stuff in this post, but I'm just chuffed that I'm not still doing it.