Heating in a 94 Classic

Search this Thread

Old 15 October 2009, 01:57 PM
melvyn
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heating in a 94 Classic

Hi All,

I have a 94 classic import and the heating has packed up. I have checked all the fuses, replaced the heating control panel, had the radiator flushed and still not worked out the problem. The header tank blew a while back and not long after replacing it the heating just stopped working. I have no idea if it is connected. The engine runs at a constant temp and cools perfectly and I have been told the heater matrix and the thermostat are ok. The pipes that carry the hot water into the bulk head are all ok, but there seems to be a problem somewhere between it going into the bulk head and hot air coming out of the fans. Every garage I have spoken to seems to want to take the car apart quoting ridiculous prices and as it is starting to get cold now, so I need to get it sorted out before it freezes. As it is an import there is no lighter socket so I cant get a plug in heater.

Has anyone got any ideas?
Old 15 October 2009, 02:07 PM
arumdevil
Scooby Regular

no ligher socket in the imports? that's harsh, mine has one :P

I would think you would need to take the heater matrix out to be able to check or replace it to eliminated that as a possible cause, hence your silly quotes from garages as it's not an quick job.
Old 15 October 2009, 02:14 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

The reason every garage you've spoken to wants to take the car apart is because it's impossible to diagnose this fault properly without doing some disassembly, either under the bonnet, or the dash, or both. Both take time and so will incur labour charges. Fact of life.

The proximity of this issue to the failed header tank suggests that the two are interlinked, but could be a coincidence. Are you absolutely 110% certain that the matrix is full and coolant is circulating through it? Can test and clean it relatively easily by fitting a mains water hose to the inlet and flushing it through to the outlet.

Provided the matrix is good and coolant is getting to it, the only other likely cause of this issue is a breakage in the system of levers and rods that connects the heater dial on the dash to the mechanism in the pack. Does the control feel as though it's lost some of its resistance, and is easier than it used to be to move? If so, that would point in the right direction.
Old 15 October 2009, 02:16 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Oh - obvious question but will ask anyway. Is your engine coolant system now filled properly - header tank brimmed when the engine is cold?
Old 15 October 2009, 04:22 PM
kingmikeyuk
Scooby Regular

Split pins spot on , disconnect the hoses coming through the bulkhead connect a hose to one of them and give it a blast through if very little comes out obviously the matrix is blocked , this method might also clear any air locks / debris in that area, dont forget antifreeze when you fill system back up winters coming
Old 15 October 2009, 06:20 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Splitpin
Provided the matrix is good and coolant is getting to it, the only other likely cause of this issue is a breakage in the system of levers and rods that connects the heater dial on the dash to the mechanism in the pack. Does the control feel as though it's lost some of its resistance, and is easier than it used to be to move? If so, that would point in the right direction.
Early heater controls are servo'd for the direction and temperature, not sliding controls.
Old 18 October 2009, 12:00 AM
melvyn
Scooby Newbie

Cheers people a few ideas to try.

Trending Topics

Old 18 October 2009, 12:03 AM
melvyn
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Splitpin
Oh - obvious question but will ask anyway. Is your engine coolant system now filled properly - header tank brimmed when the engine is cold?
Yep its full
Old 18 October 2009, 07:34 AM
arumdevil
Scooby Regular

and it is still full after cooling from a hard run?