Turbo / ECU advice please

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2009, 11:28 PM
Q Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo / ECU advice please

Hi all
I have a 94 WRX wagon which I am looking to put a Z4ECU into, I have had some people offer me the ECU but was wandering if it needs to be run on a TD05 or can I keep the TD04 till I can fit the 05???

All advice welcomed cheers
Old 15 October 2009, 06:36 AM
scoobiewrx555
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Z4 Ecu makes 260bhp as std with the factory map. A TD04 is more than capable of making the boost the Z4 requires. All you may need to do is adjust the wastegate arm either a half or 1 turn (make it shorter) if it isn't quite hitting the mark to make the boost you want (1.1-1.2bar). A boost guage would let you know what you're making but you may end up possibly maxxing out the MAP sensor. If so get a MAP sensor from a 93-94 (V3-V4) that's rated up to 1.7/1.8bar. HTH
Old 15 October 2009, 10:56 AM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobiewrx555
Z4 Ecu makes 260bhp as std with the factory map. A TD04 is more than capable of making the boost the Z4 requires. All you may need to do is adjust the wastegate arm either a half or 1 turn (make it shorter) if it isn't quite hitting the mark to make the boost you want (1.1-1.2bar). A boost guage would let you know what you're making but you may end up possibly maxxing out the MAP sensor. If so get a MAP sensor from a 93-94 (V3-V4) that's rated up to 1.7/1.8bar. HTH
a z4 ecu needs to be used with the tdo5 turbo that it was designed for, a 93-94 is a v1 impreza, fitting the map sensor to a v1 car that it is not scalled for it will result in trouble very quickly as the car will not see the boost it is running.
Old 15 October 2009, 08:00 PM
scoobiewrx555
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by my94wrx
a z4 ecu needs to be used with the tdo5 turbo that it was designed for, a 93-94 is a v1 impreza, fitting the map sensor to a v1 car that it is not scalled for it will result in trouble very quickly as the car will not see the boost it is running.
The TD04 will run on the Z4 ECU without a shadow of a doubt and give the 260bhp available with some wastegate actuator arm tweaking but it may well have to run at 1.2bar to do so in which case it may well trigger wastegate duty retard or fuel cut.

Totally agree with you about having to rescale the MAP sensor scaling to run a higher rated MAP sensor but the only way to do that is by sticking an ESL daughterboard on the ECU and remapping it which is the ideal solution.

There are lots of classics around running TD04's and Z4 ECU's, it's a cheap upgrade path and does the job for most. It's by no means an uncommon upgrade and most don't even bother tweaking the wastegate instead running a manual boost controller hoping that will keep the wastegate duty where they want it. The ECU has 3D boost mapping so better to tweak the wastegate actuator and let the ECU control boosting.

If it were my car a TD05 16G would be going on it coupled with 440cc injectors and higher rated MAP sensor + all the other gubbins required, and then it would have to be an ESL 'Live' remap.
Old 15 October 2009, 08:16 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobiewrx555
The TD04 will run on the Z4 ECU without a shadow of a doubt and give the 260bhp available with some wastegate actuator arm tweaking but it may well have to run at 1.2bar to do so in which case it may well trigger wastegate duty retard or fuel cut.

Totally agree with you about having to rescale the MAP sensor scaling to run a higher rated MAP sensor but the only way to do that is by sticking an ESL daughterboard on the ECU and remapping it which is the ideal solution.

There are lots of classics around running TD04's and Z4 ECU's, it's a cheap upgrade path and does the job for most. It's by no means an uncommon upgrade and most don't even bother tweaking the wastegate instead running a manual boost controller hoping that will keep the wastegate duty where they want it. The ECU has 3D boost mapping so better to tweak the wastegate actuator and let the ECU control boosting.

If it were my car a TD05 16G would be going on it coupled with 440cc injectors and higher rated MAP sensor + all the other gubbins required, and then it would have to be an ESL 'Live' remap.
there is other ways to get the map sensor to work, which dont rely on a esl live map, but you really need to know what your doing or as said earlier it would go bang.