Head Gasket??

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2009, 04:19 PM
MrMagoo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Gasket??

Hey folks

I got my scooby back on the road after a while been parked up, issue im having now is that the temp guage has risen slightly ( normally at half way but recently has risen to just under 3/4)
Now when i spotted it i turned off the car and the buddy checked the header tank, opened it slowly and because the car was hot, a slight bit o pressure but nothing shot out, just a little as you would expect!

Put the cap back on and turned the key on ignition on, all within 1 min of seeing guage rise, and the temp had gone back down to normal, hasnt happened since even with driving hard or sitting in traffic.

Anyone hazzard a guess as to what it could be?
Air lock or head gasket??
Old 14 October 2009, 04:27 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

If it was the head gasket, the problem wouldn't clear up by itself. Also, if it was the HG, either it's been leaking coolant into a cylinder, or it's been leaking coolant into the oil returns. Either way you wouldn't be guessing, you'd either be dealing with a hydrolocked engine or a sump full of mayo (have you checked the dipstick)?

Simply leaving the car parked up won't cause an airlock either. Is it possible there might have been one before you left it?

For the time being, provided you've topped the coolant system back up, and everything seems okay, not much more you can do.
Old 22 October 2009, 09:03 AM
MrMagoo
Scooby Regular

Ok Lads

Heres the update.

The car is loosing or using quite a bit of coolant, I filled the Forge header tank in the morning drove approx 50 miles and it was empty. The car did not overheat, the is heat coming from heaters inside the car and there is no creamy sludge in oil or ****e in header tank.

Slightly lumpy when cold, but have had this issue with 2 other imprezas ive had with no issues.

Surely if it was HG I would have other signs if its using this amount of water somewhere?

Anyone hazard a guess please!
Old 22 October 2009, 12:51 PM
MrMagoo
Scooby Regular

Rights lads, just back now, the rad has a crack in it. So a new one going in tomorrow, prob is I have a forge header tank, and the mechanic was worried it had built pressure, couldnt blow the forge tank so found the rad next weakest point.

Because of this pressure, it could have done the head gasket??

Now it has not thrown water out of the overflow tank by the battery cause its bone dry inside it, and there is no pressure in the header tank?
Now this morning it ran rather lump for a bit and cleared up, and this is causing me concern, ie water in the cylendar??

Anyone shed light on this?? Would I have some other symptoms??
Old 22 October 2009, 01:10 PM
RS74
Scooby Regular

having a forge header tank won't matter , when the pressure builds up the cap opens and forces coolant to your reserve tank, i had simalar prob and change my header tank cap and my rad cap ,, problem solved, if the caps are faulty they will loose pressure.
Old 22 October 2009, 01:15 PM
MrMagoo
Scooby Regular

So would you think the rough running is down to it being stone cold and it clears up after a couple of mins driving softly.

Terrified its water in the cylinder??
Like I said no other symptoms other than this lump running today.
If the car went cold again should the lumpyness return or should thisonly happen after its been sitting there all night??