Notices

UK MY99 Induction kit advice

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2009, 10:20 PM
just123
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UK MY99 Induction kit advice

Looking to fit induction kit to my MY99 i've heard this is a bad idea due to the maf not liking the vibration its subject to in the new induction kit

can anybody advise on this as i'm looking to get a fmic
Old 28 September 2009, 10:49 PM
mark-f1
Scooby Regular

I thought it was the filter oil (i.e when servicing k&n's) or bits of foam (hks type) that buggered them. I went for a metal blitz one.
Old 28 September 2009, 11:02 PM
stevekoz
Scooby Regular

i recently had the same quandry over to fit or not to fit.

I went ahead, did some research and bought an SUS power filter from Blitz which is the stainless type.

There are problems with the induction kits on the classics due the MAF. Many cotton gauze filters use a retention oil to help filter, these particles of oil are sucked into the intake and over time clog up and break down your MAF element. And a damaged MAF can lead to so much more damage.

The foam filters like HKS and Pipercross don't suck or filter quite aswell either so i stayed away.

Anyway i got the Blitz filter and fitted it - not a particularly straight forward fit for an IK (took 45mins) to get it in and fitted securely. First impressions were great. Sounded awesome - very different to must induction roars you get, a nice whistle and a very audible soundtrack from the turbo and standard recirc - dump valve. Sounded great! At first i thought all was well!

Couple of weeks later, i took her for a blast and noticed she wasn't revving as freely, she didn't seem to boost quite as well, and well eventually she cut out. Turned out the engine management system kicked into safety as she was over-boosting. Too much free flowing unmanaged air into the intake is just as bad as not enough or too hot etc etc. It just wasn't working! In order to get the best from the filter you really need a remap so it either runs mafless or takes into consideration the higher air flow. That way your fueling wll be ok as wil your boost.

In my story i went back to the OEM air box and fitted a performance panel filter from Welcome to Scooby world - afterburner filter. Ordered Wednesday got here Thursday...spot on those guys are!

In comparison to the IK, there is no real difference in sound but the car certianly breathes better. More responsive All original set up so no MAF problems, more useable performance gains and none of the harsh side effects of running the IK. A stock INtake can take up to 350bhp so i've heard without any running concerns.

Just my story - but its one echo'd by loads of peeples on here. Do some searching and you'll find loads of posts giving advice.

If you are going to to fit an FMIC as i think you stated - a IK is a must anyway as you have oemove the air box to fit it. But i would always recommend getting a remap if you start fiddling with the air tem/ fueling/air ratio into the car. Just my opinion though and im no expert.

Good luck whatver you choose.
Old 28 September 2009, 11:13 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by just123
Looking to fit induction kit to my MY99 i've heard this is a bad idea due to the maf not liking the vibration its subject to in the new induction kit.
Correct, that's one of the complications. There are issues relating to mechanical vibration causing degredation of the MAF sensor itself. Then there are issues relating to altered flow though the tube knocking the airflow vs voltage curve out (which can be mapped around). There's also the issue with oil from the filter medium contaminating the sensor element, and, with some induction kits, complications arising from ingesting a greater share of hot air from the engine bay.

can anybody advise on this as i'm looking to get a fmic
Still?
Old 28 September 2009, 11:16 PM
just123
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
Correct, that's one of the complications. There are issues relating to mechanical vibration causing degredation of the MAF sensor itself. Then there are issues relating to altered flow though the tube knocking the airflow vs voltage curve out (which can be mapped around). There's also the issue with oil from the filter medium contaminating the sensor element, and, with some induction kits, complications arising from ingesting a greater share of hot air from the engine bay.

Still?
Thanks for that but i want to fit a fmic, do you know if there is a fmic kit that lets you keep the airbox
Old 28 September 2009, 11:22 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Am not aware of one. You're almost looking for an anachronism given that most FMICs are designed to work with higher power installations, so there tends to be little effort made to fit the pipework round the standard airbox as the assumption is usually that a non-standard inlet will already be in place.

You're creating complications for yourself trying to crack this particular nut in this way - STi8 TMIC is far more effective given what you've said about your goals elsewhere. If you want the cosmetic appearance of an FMIC, why don't you fit a fake one?
Old 28 September 2009, 11:25 PM
just123
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
Am not aware of one. You're almost looking for an anachronism given that most FMICs are designed to work with higher power installations, so there tends to be little effort made to fit the pipework round the standard airbox as the assumption is usually that a non-standard inlet will already be in place.

You're creating complications for yourself trying to crack this particular nut in this way - STi8 TMIC is far more effective given what you've said about your goals elsewhere. If you want the cosmetic appearance of an FMIC, why don't you fit a fake one?
Andy forrest advise fitting a vf24 or 28 turbo to get the best out of the fmic then remap

Last edited by just123; 28 September 2009 at 11:28 PM.
Old 28 September 2009, 11:34 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Just to clarify, are you fitting an intercooler to help you get the best out of a turbo chosen to help you hit a desired power figure, or are you hell-bent on fitting an FMIC and will then be fitting a turbo to justify it?
Old 10 October 2009, 10:15 PM
just123
Scooby Regular

What if i got a simtek ecu and remap is it true i can do away with the maf sensor
so i would have

VF29 turbo
fmic
full decat
simtek ecu and remap
induction kit
uprated fuel pump

would this get me 350 bhp
Old 10 October 2009, 10:35 PM
ali37
Scooby Regular

If you are just looking for 350bhp you are just throwing money away with a Simtek and FMIC

Have got a 99 RA and am going for about the same power level and am fitting the following:

VF35 or 20G Turbo
STI8 TMIC conversion
550cc injectors
FPR
Uprated fuel pump
decat
ported headers
ecutek remap
standard airbox - green filter

If you plan in going further than 350bhp then yep worth the cost.