Notices

does my scoob need new engine mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 13 March 2002, 05:12 PM
KevinH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I've been getting a knocking noise on the underside of my scoob for a little while. It used to only happen when really pushing it along bumpy roads, and I traced it to my scoobymania 3” downpipe hitting the gearbox mounting plate. ( it’s got 10mm clearance when stationary )

Given that this happened infrequently I was living with it, but know it happens whenever I dump the throttle from hard acceleration ( when the front-end dives ).

I’ve got under the car looked at the gearbox mount and it looks fine, and everything is sufficiently solid that I can’t move the gearbox without using a substantial leaver.

Does this sound like I need to get the gearbox mount replaced?

If so should I go for a Group N mount rather than standard (WRX)?

Are there any other possible causes I should check-out?

Old 14 March 2002, 09:39 AM
JamesS
Scooby Regular

Front suspension bushes, particularly the anti-roll bar bushes..........
Old 15 March 2002, 08:18 PM
TURBO7379
Scooby Regular

I had a similiar problem with my legacy . I had fitted a scoobysport back box together with a home made straight through centre section made in 2" ss tube . The manifold / downpipe is standard . After 4 months the centre section started hitting the bodywork . At the start I thought I had a worn mounting but a mate who is a scooby mechanic said he has never seen them wear out . Checked further and noticed that the bracket at the end of the downpipe that connects onto the gearbox cradle had snapped which allowed the downpipe to warp to one side . This of course threw the rest if the system out of line causing the banging . I removed the downpipe , heated it and straightened it . Have had no problems since until now . The downpipe has a small hole in it and I'll have to fix it before it gets bigger !

Derek