Notices

HELP :(

Search this Thread

Old 26 September 2009, 06:02 PM
Mike_2009
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP :(

Only had car 12 days. First off ABS light is on, which is ok because I new that needed fixing but the the bottom pulley works loose. Could have been a crank but luckily fixed with a new pulley.

I've driven the car 5 or 6 times since for just the past 48 hours and today I notice the temp guage go to alomost max when idling but then drops back to normal once doing decent speed, if this is head gasket failure I give up and will cancel my insurnace in the next 24 hours to get my money back. Can anyone help by advising what I can check first?

I think it's losing cooland underneath now the car is parked up there seems to be a patch where it may have dripped down, would this indicate its not HG?
Old 26 September 2009, 06:06 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Are the fans coming in when the temp rises??

Could just be a simple leak, get under it and see where its coming from
Old 26 September 2009, 07:38 PM
Mike_2009
Scooby Regular

I think I've found a leak, when it warms up a considerable amount of coolant is leaking out from the front pipe opposite the radiator, hopefully this just needs replacing \ tightening and collant refilling...
Old 26 September 2009, 08:43 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

What do you mean by the "front pipe opposite the radiator"? If it's the metal one that runs across from the water pump to the oil cooler, just above the exhaust manifold, it will almost certainly have rusted through and need replacement.
Old 26 September 2009, 08:53 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your loosing coolant then this will be why its overheating. not necesarilly hg yet.
fix the leak and then see how you go on.
Old 27 September 2009, 02:18 PM
Mike_2009
Scooby Regular

Still overheating. Fixed leak and refilled coolant, starts and idles fine for approx 10 mins then temp starts to rise and fans kicks in, runs for approx another 8 or 10 mins with fans still on gets just above 3/4 mark on temp guage so I cut it off.

Any ideas?

Could the thermostat be jammed, maybe water pump, anyway of testing?
Old 27 September 2009, 02:44 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you reinstate the coolant by the 'correct method'? If not, then you could've unwittingly introduced an airlock.

Do a search to find out the procedure...
Old 27 September 2009, 02:48 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Did it oveheat etc. BEFORE you replaced the pully?

If not, then it could be that after replacing the pully, for some reason, the cambelt is now slipping on the water pump impeller's drive-wheel(?)

Last edited by joz8968; 27 September 2009 at 02:51 PM.
Old 27 September 2009, 04:52 PM
Mike_2009
Scooby Regular

After some research I think it may be an airlock. I've tried the burp method which has made a difference but its still not right.

I've only tested it stationary at the moment. It goes up to normally temp and then runs for approx 8 - 10 mins and then the temp starts to rise and fans kick in as they should. After 4 or 5 mins temp is reduced back to normal but fans are constantly running to keep temp down as if it's still running hot. When I started it up I had the heaters on full which were initially hot but then turned cool, does this indicate an airlock?

Also, althought maybe a separate problem, there is abit of a burning smell coming from the pipe beneath where the pipe goes back into the engine from the bottom of the radiator, it looks like an exhaust type pipe, would this be anything to do with it or just another problem?

I've had nothing but a nightmare with this car since I bought it and I have 24 hours to cancel my insurance and get a full refund bar £20, I'm in 2 minds as whether this is the way to go now and sell the car...

Any advice appreciated ASAP
Old 27 September 2009, 06:10 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mike_2009
When I started it up I had the heaters on full which were initially hot but then turned cool, does this indicate an airlock?
Points in that direction, yes.

Also, althought maybe a separate problem, there is abit of a burning smell coming from the pipe beneath where the pipe goes back into the engine from the bottom of the radiator, it looks like an exhaust type pipe, would this be anything to do with it or just another problem?
The pipe you're referring to is the link which connects the two exhaust manifolds together. A lot depends on exactly what smell it is, but given what you're reporting it could well be coolant burning off from that cross-pipe I referred to earlier.

I've had nothing but a nightmare with this car since I bought it and I have 24 hours to cancel my insurance and get a full refund bar £20, I'm in 2 minds as whether this is the way to go now and sell the car...
What model year and type is it, and did it come with a full service history?
Old 27 September 2009, 08:29 PM
Mike_2009
Scooby Regular

Default update

Fixed the temperature problem, burped the pipes again and topped up coolant and that problem is now fixed, no leaks, drips etc. I'lll do a full flush in next few weeks.

The problem I have now is with this burning smell from the pipe I mentioned earlier, does this connect to the oil cooler?

In ref to the last post, thanks for the reply. I bought the car knowing it needed the ABS sorting but apart from that it came with full hist upto 80k, its got 100k on it at present. Its a 97 classic. I did the bottom pulley the other day which I thought was one hurdle but now this
Old 27 September 2009, 10:37 PM
Mike_2009
Scooby Regular

Anyone any advice on what this pipe is as per last post?

I'll take a pic tomorrow to be clearer, its like an exhaust type pipe that runs along the front under the cambelt cover, that one is fine but where it connects to another pipe which I'm thinking maybe the oil cooler thats where abit of smoke comes off sometimes and there's a light burning smell like an electrical cable burning out etc...
Old 27 September 2009, 10:50 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Yeah get it posted up mate, will help id the part
Old 27 September 2009, 10:58 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Just a thought. your not talking about the up-pipe are you? this connects to the pipe that runs from right to left under the cambelt. It then heads upwards to the turbo?

Common problem with rocker gashets leaking oil onto them and then it burns of with a smell and you will probably see some smoke
Old 28 September 2009, 01:48 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mike_2009
I'll take a pic tomorrow to be clearer, its like an exhaust type pipe that runs along the front under the cambelt cover,
As above, the only "exhaust-type" pipe running underneath the belt cover is the link pipe - which is part of the exhaust manifold.

that one is fine but where it connects to another pipe which I'm thinking maybe the oil cooler
The link pipe doesn't connect to the oil cooler - but they're right next to each other. As has been said it's far from uncommon for leaks around the rocker cover on the 1&3 side to drip down onto the exhaust. A photo would help us to know where you're looking but the most constructive next step is probably to stick a torch and your eyes up underneah to see if you can see anything dripping or touching.

Is your oil level dropping btw?
Old 28 September 2009, 07:25 AM
mattchew
Scooby Regular

put the blowers to cold, and turn them on if the pump out hot air the hg has gone, also chekc for mayo under the oil cap and on dipstick
Old 29 September 2009, 08:59 AM
Mike_2009
Scooby Regular

Coolant system is now fixed, no HG failure. After refilling had to remove airlock, doesn't overheat anymore.

Got it on some ramps and confirmed rocker cover gasket is slightly weaping, causing the smell and odd smoke. It's hardly losing anything so I'm not sure whether to leave it for abit or have a go at fitting a new gasket, I've read it can be fairly hard to get a seal.

Thanks for the advice guys...

I will be keeping her now . If anyone ever wants to train to become a mechanic, just tell them to buy a scoob, one thing after another lol
Old 29 September 2009, 10:28 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Did you get rid of the airlock by refilling the cooling system by the "correct method" i.e. through the turbo pipe, and by disconnecting the thin bleed pipe to the top of the rad, etc.?
Old 29 September 2009, 01:51 PM
Mike_2009
Scooby Regular

No, I just burped the air out through the header tank using the rad hoses.

When I do a full flush and fill in a few weeks time I'll try to use the correct method...
Old 29 September 2009, 02:33 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Oh sure, that method can jettison the air too.