Notices

HELP NEEDED

Search this Thread

Old 25 September 2009, 06:06 PM
dooby-do
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP NEEDED

ok people in need of some help,i have recently fitted new tires to my car x4 along with bottom ball joints and new apex springs,the trouble is now when i drive. the car drives ok for first 5 mins but then becomes snappy throught the steering wheel,its very strange if i am going around aroundabout i can feel the wheel trying to snap back pretty badly aswell and if i come to a stop with wheels turned you can hear it trying to snap back along with a loud cloncking noise coming from around suspension area at the front,it does sound like the suspension but really not sure,also if im traveling along a straight road and get above 60-70 you can feel throught the steering wheel that its trying to snap and pull either way only slightly tho but makes the handling very very poor. i had the wheels balanced had the wheel aligment done changed both bottom ball joints but still the same. now when you fit new springs are you ment to cut the bumper stop as i have read else were that some cars need them cutting.i have the springs fitted right as re done them 3-4 times now but still the same any ideas as really starting to get to me now any help would be much appriciated kind regards ben
Old 25 September 2009, 06:26 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like the coil spring isn't located in the top seat correctly and binding up when the steering is turned - you could fit the original springs back in temporarily and give the car a run to see if the problem is still there.
I take it the handling/steering was ok before the changes you made ?

Mick
Old 25 September 2009, 07:16 PM
dooby-do
Scooby Regular

yes mate it was pretty much perfect before i changed the springs just wanted to lower the car a little,the car still goes around corners ok but not as well as it did before i changed them,but i did not realise that the top coil has to be a percific way around the bottom of the shock the spring will only sit in one way but the top of the shock i have the big section facing outward if that makes sense

Old 25 September 2009, 08:02 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Think the last picture might show the problem - the spring is coil bound - dont think the coils should be touching even under full compression ( i stand to be corrected though ).

Mick
Old 26 September 2009, 05:06 AM
dooby-do
Scooby Regular

thats exacly what i was thinking the rears are spot on but the fronts sit very compacted,would it be a good idea to just put standard springs on front a drive it for a few days so would have apex on rear and standard on fronts just to see if thats the problems or is that not a good idea and it would compleatly mess up my handleing regards
Old 26 September 2009, 08:17 AM
jonboy0373
Scooby Regular

Looking at the last pic, are the springs from a reputable seller? Springs are also weight rated and yours look like the car is too heavy for the coil.
Old 26 September 2009, 10:31 AM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

Those springs cant be right, there is no clearance. They will coil tight when the steering is turned, causing the steering to return violently once p.a.s effect is weakened (i.e you let go of the wheel). Double check and make sure 100% they are right buddy.