Notices

mot disaster

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2009, 02:35 PM
curlew
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy mot disaster

Our legacy saloon went for mot on Friday ,Passsed but on driving it home fromfirst go screetching noise from geerbox and aaaaalso burning smell in other words clutch and or thrust bearing and whatever else seriously dammaged. Was it put on rollers .Garage denies this of course.Body language a bit suspect. Has anyone else had such an experiance .C
Old 21 September 2009, 03:55 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

Wouldn't of thought that it went on any rollers apart from the brake testing part of the MOT. Did you stay with the car whilst it was tested? Did they take it out for a drive maybe? I never leave my Impreza with garages if I can help it....you never know otherwise whether they'll have taken your car out and ragged it to death. I feel for you. My mate once took his car for an MOT at a garage once and when he collected it the garage gimp starting bangin' on about how quick the car was...."How the fu*k would you know?" was his question and the guy went red and said "oh I've just heard thats all". He never went back and it's sad but the garage gimp had obviously been ragging his car around the local streets whilst he was meant to be testing it. Sucks, can't trust em' nowadays.
Old 21 September 2009, 04:47 PM
L3YMS
Scooby Regular

sorry to hear about your problems. I dont get legacy are they 4wd? if so you need 4 wheel rollers to brake test them which a lot of garages dont have, so they should road test them with a brake inertia meter thingy in the footwell. I think on some non turbo impreza's you can pull a fuse out that makes them 2wd for testing on a single roller though. gutted for you, not sure the outcome of putting a 4wd on a single roller, centre diff explodes or maybe it would just drive off! Could be the cause though?
Old 21 September 2009, 05:55 PM
widdows
Scooby Regular

you cant win with anything 4wd on an mot, they either put it on the rollers and f*ck up your diffs or they have to take the car out, rag it and use a deaccelometer to see if you brakes work so either way its getting damaged!

took mine for the mot and I knew the guy testing it, he has a fair knoledge of 4wd after owning cossies so he knew not to put it on the rollers. When I came to pick the car up he told me how well it pulled and it handled great. I thought how the **** do you know that? then he told me he had to take it out and use the deaccelometer on it cos its 4wd.
Old 21 September 2009, 06:45 PM
Beardy
Scooby Regular

I always stay with my car now, ever since i saw my car been drivin in town by some nipper at the place i took it to, given it hell. Was not happy.

Also heard of someone who took their car to a garage for body work repair, so no test drive needed, he came back and his monitor said it had been drivin, not warmed up. And all temps were high on there peaks. He had a massive go at the garage and got a full refund.
Old 21 September 2009, 07:25 PM
Suffkunchris
Scooby Newbie

That's a worry, there are a lot of AWD vehicles about so surely MOT testers are wise to do's and don'ts. The rollers are powered, so the car should be in neutral. I don't know what happens on an AWD vehicle if you rotate one axle only but I'm keen to know now! I've had deisel where they clearly state if the cam belt isn't up to the smog test at full bore then you fail and pick up the bits on the way out!
Old 21 September 2009, 07:43 PM
curlew
Scooby Newbie

Default further

Went in this morning and looked at garage rollers . just single set rollers for brake test. Wonder if they knew legacy saloon is permanent four wheel drive . There computer should tell them but had they loged in first . Cant prove anything but have cancelled forester turbo's apointment for tomorrow . C
Old 21 September 2009, 07:52 PM
Daz_01
Scooby Newbie

Hi sorry to hear of the trouble you've had since mot but tbh it sounds like you've been unlucky as when an mot is registered any vehicles that have the potential to be damaged by roller brake testing is fore warned by mot computerisation and printed on the blue VT40 prior to the test being carried out. So it would have to be a complete moron to put an AWD vehicle into a RBT. It should have been tested by a deccelerometer which just measures brake efficiency. You could try asking the VTS who tested the vehicle for a copy of the VT40 which is the printed check list- (customers arn't usually given this) on the reverse it has information regarding the brake test and if filled out correctly you should be able to determine how the brake test was carried out: i.e. had a deccelerometer have been used you would only have two percentages for front and rear brake efficiency. When an RBT is used the tester will check each brake individually before checking front imbalance which is not possible on a conventional RBT. Hope this helps.

Regards
Old 22 September 2009, 09:15 AM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Vehicles are usually mechanically checked first, then brake test, then emissions, i would of thought the clue to being 4 wheel drive was they had just checked 4 driveshaft gaiters for splits etc.
Old 22 September 2009, 12:33 PM
curlew
Scooby Newbie

Default mot dammage

Probably did know 4x4 .Permanet ? .Momentary lapse in concentration while doing a batch. All i know is car went in ok and came out seriously ill. coincedence ? .Now quotes £750 for repair .C
Old 23 September 2009, 11:25 AM
curlew
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by curlew
Probably did know 4x4 .Permanet ? .Momentary lapse in concentration while doing a batch. All i know is car went in ok and came out seriously ill. coincedence ? .Now quotes £750 for repair .C
update ! wants another £750 as compound flywheel also dammaged .
Old 23 September 2009, 12:03 PM
arumdevil
Scooby Regular

**** that what a nightmare! if you need any legacy specific advice be sure to check in over at uklegacy.com
Old 23 September 2009, 03:36 PM
Tazz Kill Er
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Daz_01
Hi sorry to hear of the trouble you've had since mot but tbh it sounds like you've been unlucky as when an mot is registered any vehicles that have the potential to be damaged by roller brake testing is fore warned by mot computerisation and printed on the blue VT40 prior to the test being carried out. So it would have to be a complete moron to put an AWD vehicle into a RBT. It should have been tested by a deccelerometer which just measures brake efficiency. You could try asking the VTS who tested the vehicle for a copy of the VT40 which is the printed check list- (customers arn't usually given this) on the reverse it has information regarding the brake test and if filled out correctly you should be able to determine how the brake test was carried out: i.e. had a deccelerometer have been used you would only have two percentages for front and rear brake efficiency. When an RBT is used the tester will check each brake individually before checking front imbalance which is not possible on a conventional RBT. Hope this helps.

Regards

Agree that this is worth checking, i caught the MOT tester just about to brake test my scooby on the rollers as I was watching, he appologised and then got out the decellerometer thingy. He had done the same car for two years previously.