Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2009, 05:59 PM
wrxwill05
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default de-snorkle pros and cons?

Hi chaps!

my new suspension set from prodrive has finally come today

While im having the car up and all the wheels off im thinking of taking the resonator box off the inner wing (i know im vein... i want some turbo noise!)

Ive been reading the forums and some ppl say while the air is technically "cooler" in the fender, its more "turbulent" and can lead to problems? is there any truth to this? am i going to loose any power taking the box off? should i just leave it on? suggestions guys??

Cheers
Will
Old 14 September 2009, 07:15 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

IMHO this is a waste of time. The amount of power you will gain is minimal to non-existent - and tbh the amount of extra noise isn't that great either. If there are any gains, they're probably not the sort you want too.

The turbulence thing is a slight red-herring. It isn't so much that the air in the bumper is "more turbulent" than what shoots in the front (it probably is, but...) it's that the resonator smooths out peaks and troughs to provide more consistent flow into the engine. Without it, more of whatever variation in inlet air pressure there is will get through, and can be measured by the airflow sensor.

When I tried this I found the MAF readings I was getting fluctuated a little under boost. Not much but enough to see, affect the fuelling calculations made by the ECU, and enough to make me wonder whether the sensor was failing. As soon as I put the standard inlet pipework back on the airflow values stabilised, supporting the idea that the resonator does have a "de-turbulising" effect on the inlet air.

If anything, and if this applies to everyone, you can run more power with the resonator installed than without it, as the more consistent airflow metering would allow a custom remap to run a little tighter fuelling.
Old 14 September 2009, 07:46 PM
andyxros
Scooby Regular

ive had mine off for 2 years as i half like the noise vta valves do but wouldnt have one fitted too loud for me plus dont like wat they could do to running/idle etc, but when changing you can hear half the noise a vta would and just enough for me...been remapped with it off and had no probs thus far, but like said as to performance well i duno i might of thought i noticed more but the mind can play tricks so cant be that much must get more cold air though which is a plus
down side can clogg up filter more and cheep ones let crap past to maf so its up to you
Old 14 September 2009, 09:20 PM
wrxwill05
Scooby Regular

thanks for comments guys... much appriciated :-)