Notices

99 turbo with shafted drivers window..how hard to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 11 September 2009, 12:25 PM
Dee33223
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 turbo with shafted drivers window..how hard to fix?

My 99 turbo Impreza has a really messed up drivers electric window. It now goes down at a sharp angle and i have just pulled it up by hand and left it.
I have fixed a non electric window before and it sucked. I was left with a big gash in my hand, 3 hours of my life wasted and a blood smeared but working window. I don't know if i want to go through with it again.
Any one got any experience on how hard a job this is?. I hate driving with the window up and as it's nice today was considering busting out the tools and swear jar.
Old 11 September 2009, 12:31 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Whatver you do you've got to get the door panel off.
When you look at it its hould be apparent what needs doing. Sounds like its come off a runner.
Old 11 September 2009, 05:01 PM
Dee33223
Scooby Regular

Thanks buddy, Much ripping of hands will now commence.
Old 11 September 2009, 06:42 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

First you need to take off the little black plastic triangle where the wing mirror is. It is on 3 prongs and pulls off away from the door but it's easy to break the prongs. Then there are 2 pozi screws, one in the door opener which is visible and the other under a small square cover under the armrest. Then a plastic popper at the front of the door about armrest height. After that you can pull the door panel away at the bottom about 5 centimetres (it's on poppers) before going up with the panel to release it from its seat where it seals to the window glass. You have some connectors to release for the window controls in the armrest and you are in business.
Because the window is frameless the adjustment of the guides with the fibre pads on that run against the glass is critical for smooth operation.
Good luck.
Kevin
Old 12 September 2009, 07:09 AM
Pete The Biker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by c_maguire
First you need to take off the little black plastic triangle where the wing mirror is.
I had to swap over the glass from one front door to another because some tw*t had put a big dent in it, but I didn't need to touch the mirror fixing.

It's a two person job to swap the glass because it's heavy and fiddly. But as long as you are methodical about it and make note of how it fits together before you dismantle it, it's not too bad a job - much easier than I expected actually.

Kevin is right about the adjustment afterwards - that takes time but needs to be done right.

Good luck!

Pete