Notices

Retrofitting - Why NOT to have an Induction Kit (yes another post!)

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2009, 01:42 PM
stevekoz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retrofitting - Why NOT to have an Induction Kit (yes another post!)

Well, this week i started to notice a few worrying little running issues with the scoob. She was idling quite low and quite lumpy. In addition under moderate driving conditions (50-70mph) the boost seemed to come very late, the car just didn't feel as quick.

Anywho later that day, coming off an island the car cut out - no warning, not fowl up on my part , it just cut out.

Ready up that this was a safety aspect of the car cutting out the fueling due to it over boosting. Only conclusion was the MAF and Air Filter. So last night went about removing the Blitz SUS filter from the car and refitting the standard airbox (ordered afterburner panel filter from scooby world - on its way!)

Drove the car to work today and my god - i never realised how much power i must have been losing due to the filter! Boost comes on spot on when you'd expect it, RUnning is smoother, acceleration isn't laboured but smooth with no drop outs or flat spots that i now realise i must have had with the filter.

It's just a whole new world of car!

I know there are always posts on here about not using IK's but on every other car i've ever owned they've done nothing but good, but to the scooby - stay clear is my vote, unless your getting it mapped properly and mapped to be maf"less" at the same time. It just isn't worth running the risk.

In additon i've ordered a new MAF sensor just incase the filter had done too much damage to my original (assume still original maf on car) not bad £95 delivered from this website http://www.importcarparts.co.uk/

Not sure if anyone has heard of them, but i've purchased off them yesterday at approx 4pm - its arrived this mornign special delivery! Can't get much better than that. Cheapest place i've found for brand new.

Anyway, adding to all teh others posted already - stay clear of IK's and go for panel filter and a good exhaust every time. Till you want big big power. Just isn't worth the potential damage and stress your putting on your engine and its components!
Old 09 September 2009, 01:51 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those Blitz SUS don't do much filtering either

Definitely a good move to fit a new MAF.

Induction kits can give some good gains on normally aspirated cars, especially if operating in some sort of ram air type configuration. On turbo charged cars it's all a bit unnecessary as the turbo is perfectly capable of sucking in a lot of air to feed the engine pretty much on demand (and usually more than the engine actually needs hence the need for a wastegate on the turbo).

The OEM airbox and filter are actually pretty good and can flow more than enough air for anything up to 400bhp and maybe beyond.
Old 09 September 2009, 01:54 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
Those Blitz SUS don't do much filtering either

Definitely a good move to fit a new MAF.

Induction kits can give some good gains on normally aspirated cars, especially if operating in some sort of ram air type configuration. On turbo charged cars it's all a bit unnecessary as the turbo is perfectly capable of sucking in a lot of air to feed the engine pretty much on demand (and usually more than the engine actually needs hence the need for a wastegate on the turbo).

The OEM airbox and filter are actually pretty good and can flow more than enough air for anything up to 400bhp and maybe beyond.
On early classics the airbox just sucks from the inner wing anyway the intake is very short through the snorkel. Pointless unless going as the OP says Mafless, remap etc etc...