Notices

Any restriction in using std wrx uppipe without cat?

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2009, 09:06 AM
swisstonihasher
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any restriction in using std wrx uppipe without cat?

Hey all,

I've got a badly fitting scoobysport up-pipe that needs machine work on a flange but I'm a little worried as the last place that worked on it (custom exhaust centre in Newport) said the up-pipe "pinged" out of position when the bolts were taken off = poor quality fit.
I wonder if the OE up-pipe from a WRX with the cat knocked out would give the same performance but with best quality fit? The bores sizes must be the same as you use oe gaskets on both yes?
Old 06 September 2009, 11:24 AM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by swisstonihasher
Hey all,

I've got a badly fitting scoobysport up-pipe that needs machine work on a flange but I'm a little worried as the last place that worked on it (custom exhaust centre in Newport) said the up-pipe "pinged" out of position when the bolts were taken off = poor quality fit.
I wonder if the OE up-pipe from a WRX with the cat knocked out would give the same performance but with best quality fit? The bores sizes must be the same as you use oe gaskets on both yes?
should be ok, the only that would concern me is the bulge in the middle of the catted up-pipe if this would cause any lag/spool up issues.
Old 06 September 2009, 11:32 AM
swisstonihasher
Scooby Regular

Got cha, yeh, I guess it will allow the gases to expand slightly, then restrict to normal pipe size again, a small "blockage" I guess. I've also been looking at flexi pipe up pipes but heard about them leaking etc...not sure what is best. Gone off idea of having my scoobysport uppipe machined flat as it will mean bigger space for gasket, plus it doesn't sit right with headers so will be pulling things all over the place when bolted together...
Decisions decisions...