clikcing engine

Search this Thread

Old 01 September 2009, 11:51 AM
benspray
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clicking engine

Hey guys,

Just picked up a '97 type r, sold my last one a couple of years ago but missed it..

anyway, it runs nice and strong have dyno chart with the car showing 360bhp, problem is I dont know what has been done to it to get it to that power, its running standard airbox / exhaust / intercooler and apart from a dump valve looks standard in the engine bay as far as I can see - Im guessing the boost has been turned up but not sure what else.

Anyway I have a clicking / tapping noise that is there all the time even when hot, sounded like the lifters/tappets I thought so as I didnt really know the history Ive dumped the oil and changed it and the filter as I think often dirty oil will make the lifters noisey, looked like there was a lot of oil coming out so I measured it and there was about 6 - 6.5 litres!, refilled it with 4.5 and its spot on the level now but I think the noise is now a bit louder - Im thinking the guy put oil in to try and quieten it down to sell it. as I say it runs strong no problems at all, boosts fine and pulls fine but always has that clicking noise. Pretty sure its something top end but not sure where to start - dont really want to have to take it to a garage right away!

I would contact the seller but private sale etc he'll just say sold as seen...! and anyway I have been talking to a guy with a 450bhp engine sitting for sale so worst case

How tricky is an engine change on these? never really did any work on my last one my self but Ive done engine swaps on land rovers before and rebuilt various cars before so not too worrried about doing it myself if I know whats involved.

Cheers
Ben
Old 01 September 2009, 06:25 PM
Benji554
Scooby Regular

Sounds like it could be the bottom end bearings! My newage had it, and if so its not cheap!
Old 01 September 2009, 09:11 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

I would imagine it has a had a remap for that sort of power & more likely an Injector upgrade, Bigger injectors are generally much more noisy & click/tap away like mad all the time...

When i 1st swapped mine & started it up in the garage afterwards, I thought the top end had started to rattle mysteriously.... But no, Just the noisy fuel injectors..

It doesn't have an external oil cooler fitted does it ?? re. the extra Oil quantity ???

Dean

Last edited by DeanF; 01 September 2009 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01 September 2009, 10:18 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can you post a sound clip?
Old 01 September 2009, 10:35 PM
petedotuk
Scooby Regular

There is no way its making 360bhp on the standard exhaust and the standard top mount would struggle with it also.
Did the previous owner remove all mods and fit OEM before selling? If so maybe he didnt go to the bother of changing back to OEM injectors. As said most aftermarket/bigger injectors are noisy.
As also mentioned check for an oil cooler as this would explain the extra oil but if your level is on the money now with 4.5l then I would be suspicious. Did it throw out blue smoke when your floored it before the oil change?
Old 01 September 2009, 11:50 PM
benspray
Scooby Regular

I think youre right, the intercooler does seem to struggle, on a spirited drive it will use the entire contents of the IC water spray bottle in less than 20 miles - I guess the auto setting works on intake temps or boost levels? so perhaps running a bit too much boost...?!

Had a look at the injectors they have yellow tops, and I was told it has had a remap - but then again the guy also reckoned it could have had a 2.2 stroker while in Japan so not sure I beleive any of it really. What colour are standard injectors?

No external cooler that I can see anywhere, and is on the level nicely now, Im thinking I really need to get a few extra guages fitted anyway (oil temp / oil pressure and boost?) to find out what exactly is happening.

Pretty sure the exhaust has never been off it looking at how rusted on the bolts are, not sure about the airbox though.

Dyno charts figures (from the paperwork with it was done at Rasp in Grimsby - so I have no guarentees what has been done etc etc) show ATW 326bhp @ 7199rpm 348nm @ 5009rpm
ATF 355bhp 370nm
Like I say could all be rubbish on an overestimated dyno etc etc - Im not too fussed really as I'll get it checked at some stage and plan on a decent induction kit and exhaust etc anyway before taking it to a dyno (thats assuming the ticking isnt terminal!!) any recomendations? I dont want anything loud.

I'll get a clip of it tomorrow evening.

Cheers so far guys.
Ben
Old 02 September 2009, 12:28 AM
petedotuk
Scooby Regular

IC spray has nothing to do with the intercooler being able to cope with the charge temps. Do you have an auto switch for the water spray? or is it just spraying by its self?

Sounds like the seller didnt know that much about it!
Old 02 September 2009, 12:50 AM
benspray
Scooby Regular

Ok that's fair enough how does it decide when to spray on auto? Done 40 miles pretty much all off boost today and it's hardly used any.
you're right re the seller!

Cheers
Old 02 September 2009, 03:35 PM
benspray
Scooby Regular

Im also thinking of putting a standard recirc type dump valve back on, I dont mind the vta one on empty country roads, but not keen on it in city traffic! can I just put an original one back on or will it mess up anything?
And if I decide to do this does anyone want a swap for a standard one (not sure what each type is worth so cash either way) ?
Old 02 December 2009, 10:42 PM
Sc00by_boi
Scooby Newbie

I got a tandard recirc off a 95 turbo wrx willing to swap if u wanted.