Notices

Need the optimal rally car - can you help?

Search this Thread

Old 01 September 2009, 05:16 AM
RallyDriver2
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Need the optimal rally car - can you help?

I have a friend starting up a rally school, and he's sent me on a mission to find the best used Subaru Sti's or WRX's, that are reliable, and not too expensive.

I need to know what year is the best.

I've been told 98-02, but those are non-turbo, and I would like to keep the upgrading to a minimum.

Again, this is for rallying on gravel, dirt, you name it.

Thanks,
Old 01 September 2009, 06:52 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

If you think a 98-02 is Na only, I guess you are in the USA!

It depends very much on what sort of rallyschool your friend is setting up, is it an 'experience' type, people turn up, scares themselves a bit having fun pretending, or a serious training school for part experienced drivers, for the former I would suggest WRX's for the latter STi's.

Simon
Old 01 September 2009, 01:13 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RallyDriver2
I have a friend starting up a rally school, and he's sent me on a mission to find the best used Subaru Sti's or WRX's, that are reliable, and not too expensive.

I need to know what year is the best.

I've been told 98-02, but those are non-turbo, and I would like to keep the upgrading to a minimum.
As has been said, if you think the 98-02 cars are normally aspirated, you must be in the USA. Also, if you are looking to prepare a car for serious competition use (and you basically are), the age of the base car is probably less important than the condition it's in.

The best advice to give you at this point is that you are probably asking the wrong questions, in the wrong place. This isn't a motorsport forum as such - and it's primarily UK-focused. To be honest given your intended use, your best option is to find a motorsport-preparation oriented company in your area and start to build a relationship with them. They will be able to advise on your requirements far more specifically than most here.