Notices

Gb270

Search this Thread

Old 31 August 2009, 07:01 PM
gtisid
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gb270

after owning my gb270 for less than a month i am already pondering on seemple 'adjustments'
would an sti intercooler make much difference?
what sort of power increase could i expect from the £79.99 ebay stainless decat.
And after spending many pointless hours messing around with induction on my previous 2.1 gti 6 what is the best filter induction upgrade i could do to my car. I have seen carbon airboxes, panel filters, 57i kits i tried them all on the gti6 but i would imagine this is different stuff on a turbo motor. so what way would be best and what sort of increases could i get ?
Old 31 August 2009, 07:22 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gtisid
after owning my gb270 for less than a month i am already pondering on seemple 'adjustments'
would an sti intercooler make much difference?
Your car has the cruddy small intercooler that isn't as effective as the MY01-05 WRX IC, so the STi one will lower your charge temps a little but it'll make minimal (probably no noticeable) difference to performance unless you make other changes - i.e. upping the boost/remapping. Until then it should increase the safety margins your engine runs within, but not a lot else.

what sort of power increase could i expect from the £79.99 ebay stainless decat.
Hasn't your car already got an open neck PPP sports cat in it? If so, an eBay special, even if it's a tidily made example, isn't going to get you much more.

what is the best filter induction upgrade i could do to my car.
A good quality gunkless free-flowing panel filter is the best option at least until your mapper starts to push the limits of the standard MAF resolution.
Old 31 August 2009, 07:24 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a second cat removal, uprated panel filter and remap on what you already have would be enough mate. The 2.5's make good figures on few mods but you must remap when decatting and going induction on the new age scoobs.

Edited to say if it already has the PPP, which IIRC the GB270 does, just panel filter and remap and it will be superb.

Last edited by 53; 31 August 2009 at 07:27 PM.
Old 31 August 2009, 09:04 PM
gtisid
Scooby Regular

that is good to know, i will start with a panel filter on its next service.
Old 31 August 2009, 09:48 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the biggest gain when mapping them is the torque.. upto around 340lb.. the 270bhp they have is pretty good and they tend to only gain around 10bhp.. there are the odd exception of course.

The intercooler is upto the job and not worth changing until you change the turbo.

The biggest bang for buck on the 2.5 wrx is the sti turbo and intercooler and remap..
They have the AVCS heads and larger injectors already and make a very nice fast road car that will surprize standard sti's.

Simon