Notices

Rev's Tempremental CLASSIC

Search this Thread

Old 26 August 2009, 08:36 PM
nakers
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rev's Tempremental CLASSIC

OK, have not had this Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon 1996 that long, one fault been rectified, replaced turbo intercooler, bratch off pipe broken, seems to run ok, but when i take my foot off the throttle, seems to nearly stall, then kicks back in, then just ticks over reving slightly up and down, many times and then rev's settle down just under 10, any ideas, thanks
Old 26 August 2009, 10:17 PM
VinPlate
Scooby Newbie

I'd consider checking the oxygen sensor
Old 26 August 2009, 11:06 PM
nakers
Scooby Newbie

Thanks VinPlate, i'll do that, once i find out where it is, lol
Old 26 August 2009, 11:34 PM
Smurf786
Scooby Regular

Is Check Engine Light coming on? If so check your code.
Old 27 August 2009, 12:37 AM
nakers
Scooby Newbie

Nope, comes on when you turn ignition on, then goes out on start up and stays out, even with this problem, thanks for looking and replying
Old 27 August 2009, 10:38 AM
cushti
Scooby Regular

Might be a sticky ICV & doesn't always throw the engine check light up. Worth cleaning the idle control valve just to check - quick & easy job to do as well.
Old 27 August 2009, 11:22 AM
nakers
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the reply cuchti, need abit more insight to this, where is the idle control valve situated, my first Subaru and everything just seems upside down, lol
Old 27 August 2009, 06:12 PM
cushti
Scooby Regular

Hi Nakers,

No worries as we've all been Scooby virgins at some point in our lives. I don't know the half of it but had very similar issue & this fixed it for me.

The ICV is bolted onto the nearside rear of the inlet manifold. I have borrowed a pic of an ebay auction showing an inlet manifold with ICV still bolted on & it's the unit on the top left of the pic with the green sticker on it:

Disconnect wiring plug on the top, undo the two coolant hoses going to it (but have two bolts handy to plug them to avoid losing coolant or getting air in), undo the breather pipe, undo the 4 bolts holding it & prise away carefully so you don't muller the gasket inbetween (if unavoidable just get some gasket paper from a spares shop, couple of quid at most, & cut to shape). Clean with brake cleaner & refit. Sometimes tapping with a rubber mallett can dislodge a bit of trapped dirt.

Subaru Inlet Manifold complete on eBay (end time 30-Aug-09 21:14:56 BST)

Sometimes it can be as simple as this - fingers crossed & let us know how you get on.
Old 28 August 2009, 12:09 AM
nakers
Scooby Newbie

What a star, cheers mate, i really do appreciate that infomation, what would i do without you guys, i'll give it a go, on a good free sunny day, runs better with new used turbo intercooler, took it for a test drive round block today after warming up to normal temperature, when boost comes in makes a very loud whistle screaming nose, when i mean loud, i mean loud, high pitched, all turn round to look at where noise is coming from, i think someone has took the half decent dump valve off it and put another basic dump valve on it, that is not suited to it, for i got in touch with first owner and he told me the only two things he done to engine, was put a decent dump valve and replaced exhaust with a prodrive exhaust towards the end of his ownership, but engine sounds sweet, getting there with all the help, cheers lads
Old 31 August 2009, 02:10 PM
nakers
Scooby Newbie

Ok, managed to get round to clean idle air control solenoid valve today, cleaned mass air flow sensor aswell, on checking air filter that was really dirty, so binned that till i get another one.
Started up and she sounds much better, not quite right, but better on inspection of throttle position sensor and idle air solenoid valve, i can tell someone has been adjusting postions on them, so will it have to take in to be tuned ?, if the air filter was so dirty maybe spark plugs will have to be changed aswell, but looks like not a job for me, oil is fine looks clean and oil filter looks new.
Any advances on situation
Old 19 September 2009, 07:09 PM
MICKDEL
Scooby Newbie

hey i have the same problem it idles up and down really bad check engine comes on then goes off when at a stand still. checked the code it says iac valve got one changed it but still does it. something i did notice was when i take air pipe off boost solenoid it stops please help me for the love of god help me.

ps it has no known mods aprt from full 3.5 inch exhaust

Last edited by MICKDEL; 19 September 2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old 23 September 2009, 05:02 PM
nakers
Scooby Newbie

Wish i could help you on this, but i sold my WRX wagon, like this, reflected on the price, for i took it in p/x with cash for my old car, but the guy who bought it said he would get to the bottom of it, for he had mates, who knew the cars back to front and it would probably come down to one of the many sensors on it and he would tell me, have not heard anything yet, sorry, but just thought i would reply, so you know i've looked at this thread, if i hear anything will let you know, cheers