Notices

Help from some sti gurus

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2009, 07:03 PM
-ant-
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help from some sti gurus

Ok well a few weeks ago a mate bought a 1994 impreza shell with its loom, ecu drive shafts, diff and prop.
The car is registerd a wrx and hes not that well up on imprezas, hes gone and got an engine form a wrx and gearbox to.
Now its intresting he was going on about sti seats and so on in it, so i took his chassis plate details and looked them up and so on .
It turns out the applied model code on the plate says its a version one sti, the orginal engine code is sti and the tranny code is sti.
So we need help now because he has a wrx engine and box and all wrx bits.

So first one will a complete wrx engine wire up and run if the car is sti.

2nd Does anyone have a list of ecu types so i can check the ecu in the car and see if it matchs up to and sti ecu or a wrx.

Any other help ideas or possible issue theres going to be are welcome
Old 25 August 2009, 07:32 PM
34srm
Scooby Regular

why , go to all the trouble , its a 94 car , it prob would be half the price to buy one than build one up
Old 25 August 2009, 07:43 PM
-ant-
Scooby Regular

I know that , but when this all started it was just a wrx hes spent just under 1500 for and almost perfect shell and 40 odd k wrx complete engine and box.
Plus when it gets put to together he knows its had a new clutch belts and plugs and everthing is new on it and working.
Ive been and looked at lots a of 94 cars in recent months 2k -3k and not a single one has been anywhere near the condition this is.

Last edited by -ant-; 25 August 2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old 25 August 2009, 09:00 PM
-ant-
Scooby Regular

Anyone know where i can any of this info please .
Thanks anthony
Old 25 August 2009, 10:32 PM
Jimmy (mines a pint)
Scooby Regular

ive seen a few wrx's with sti ecu so it doesnt sound like a problem to me,he will need a map when its done tho

think your better going on fleabay and looking at sti ecu's and see if they look the same

SUBARU IMPREZA WRX STI V4 VERSION 4 CLASSIC GC8 ECU 75 on eBay (end time 12-Sep-09 15:35:36 BST)

why not ask him if it will work on a wrx

good luck mate
Old 25 August 2009, 10:37 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what code is on the sti ecu?

Simon
Old 26 August 2009, 02:56 PM
-ant-
Scooby Regular

will find out later on today on the code.
The wrx engine he has came from a 94 wrx car so he has the ecu gearbox the lot.
I was always under the impression that that you couldnt run a Sti ecu in wrx car as the sti has some diffrent sensors or somthing on the engine wired into the loom, my way of thinking was if hes going to put a complete wrx engine in he will need a wrx loom put in the car to be able to use the wrx ecu.

Ecutek say... So i geuss he needs to go fish and complete sti engine and stop being a cheap skate with his wrx stuff.
Note that STI ECUs will not work in standard cars due to wiring differences, so don't try it. You Turbo/WRX/GT car is also missing the air temperature sensor which STI rely on in their maps.
Some more info now, going to have to get the ecu that in the car checked out the reason the car doesnt have an engine is the guy he got it off got the car for one reason and that was the the running gear, it was running a 2.5 with allsort of other goodies to. Bumpers are all cut out for a fmic. So chances are the ecu has been mapped id would have thought.

Last edited by -ant-; 26 August 2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old 26 August 2009, 03:13 PM
-ant-
Scooby Regular

Diffrent ecu type, this an early impreza i so it wont have a 3 plug ecu well shouldnt, It will be a 4. I think they changed to the 3 plug one in v3 late 96 early 97 iirc.
But who knows this thing is full of surprises .

Originally Posted by Jimmy (mines a pint)
ive seen a few wrx's with sti ecu so it doesnt sound like a problem to me,he will need a map when its done tho

think your better going on fleabay and looking at sti ecu's and see if they look the same

SUBARU IMPREZA WRX STI V4 VERSION 4 CLASSIC GC8 ECU 75 on eBay (end time 12-Sep-09 15:35:36 BST)

why not ask him if it will work on a wrx

good luck mate
Old 26 August 2009, 04:33 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as said above the early car is different, there is no ecutek for it and that info is valid for newer cars etc

the only issue is the sti heads allow a higher rev limit, hence question on ecu code to see which car the ecu is from.

just buy a wrx ecu as sensors are the same on the early car

Simon