Notices

Loosing gearbox oil after new clutch..!

Search this Thread

Old 24 August 2009, 10:07 PM
Ripe Banana Man
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Loosing gearbox oil after new clutch..!

Definitely transmission oil and it's appears to be coming from somewhere above the driveshafts- thought at first the drain plug was loose, then noticed oil above it..

Any thoughts, it seems too much of a coincidence not to be related to clutch change..?!
Old 25 August 2009, 12:38 AM
andyxros
Scooby Regular

if it were from drive shafts oil seals you would know about it and see it..above them there is not much oil can come from only the casing its self, check clutch slave cylinder and pipe works for leaks as these get moved and disturbed during clutch change...you would notice prop shaft leak, only other place is main shaft seal in bell housing which would contaminate clutch and slip when driving
Old 25 August 2009, 02:39 AM
bluerigster
Scooby Regular

Was the spigot bearing in your flywheel replaced when the clutch was changed?, as the gearbox primary shaft seal can leak if the shaft isn't correctly supported/aligned by the spigot bearing.
Old 25 August 2009, 10:40 AM
Ripe Banana Man
Scooby Newbie

Yep, we replaced the bearing and flywheel.

I noticed that in 4th gear from low rev [under 2k] there's a slight vibration that can be felt inside the car/through steering wheel. I suppose that could be a sign that the alignment isn't spot on..? I've been told that a lot of aftermarket clutches do this and it's on of those things, but now the box is loosing oil..?

Thinking logically, if the alignment isn't right then presumably the input shaft oil seal's going to get distorted..?

Oh bugger, looks like another bloody knucle weekend on my back- just hope the clutch hasn't been contaminated with oil..!

Oh and I HATE the smell of transmission oil..!
Old 25 August 2009, 10:48 AM
andyxros
Scooby Regular

the alignment is only used to get the main shaft through the splines on the clutch plate, if it wasnt lined up you would not be able to fit the gear box in the first place , so wen box is on its lined up the wen clutch is prsessed for first time thats it all in line
my car has always had slight vibratitin in high gears under 2k its just labouring struggling a bit thats all more w turbo cars a s at that revs its acting as a restrictor in the exsaust till +preasure is acheved

Last edited by andyxros; 25 August 2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old 25 August 2009, 12:25 PM
bluerigster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ripe Banana Man

Thinking logically, if the alignment isn't right then presumably the input shaft oil seal's going to get distorted..?

Oh bugger, looks like another bloody knucle weekend on my back- just hope the clutch hasn't been contaminated with oil..!

Oh and I HATE the smell of transmission oil..!
That's right running without or with a severely worn spigot bearing the input shaft throws which causes the primary input shaft seal to distort, which in turn causes the leak.

Have a fun weekend.