britishbulldog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default forged build parts list

i'm looking to obtain all the necessary parts for a forged
ej20 for my 96 wrx.

i'm looking to get a second engine built whilst keepin my
car on the road then do an engine swap.

not looking for silly power genuine 300/300 for now to make a reliable daily driver.

So any suggestions on brands to go for?

also apart from the rods, pistons, crank and bearings, what else is required for a short engine?

which are the best heads to go for?
cheers in advance
Old 24 August 2009, 09:31 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

you can make 300/300 on standard internals pretty easily. why go the forged route when you don't have to.
Old 25 August 2009, 08:46 AM
britishbulldog
Scooby Regular

because if i want more power later on i want the engine
to be able to handle it without having to rebuild it again.

so any recomendations for parts for a forged ej20, any point in
making it a 2.1?
Old 25 August 2009, 02:26 PM
britishbulldog
Scooby Regular

Default up

bttt
Old 25 August 2009, 03:43 PM
petedotuk
Scooby Regular

As Sinky says 300/300+ is completly safe. No point in going forged untill you want to run a fair chunk more.

If going to hassle to built a forged short motor I would say go at least 2.1 no point in doing it and keeping the same cc. EngineTuner have exellent rates for their 2.1 builds including supppling CDB's.

Or if you want to buy the stroker kit and get the block machined http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Subaru-Competi...d=p3286.c0.m14

Last edited by petedotuk; 25 August 2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old 25 August 2009, 03:52 PM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

do it. at least you will be safe in the knowledge your engine can handle it. and there is nothing wrong with being prepared for the future.

i say go 2.1 stroker. or why not concider 2.5?
Old 25 August 2009, 04:14 PM
bluerigster
Scooby Regular

Depends on your budget and what sort of power?. Many lower end priced forged items are made in the same factory and labelled with different brand names, such as Eagle H beam rods & Manely H beam rods are both made in a factory in China out of the same materials but Manley rods are sold at a higher price. Manley I beam rods however are made in America with a better material specification and are well known as being one of the strongest rods available, but come with a hefty price tag. So don't be sold by brand names only.
I'd look towards parts which support better bearing oiling such as a version 9 Spec C nitrided cross drilled crank and a larger newage 12mm rotor oil pump.
Lateral performance sell H beam conrods with a modified small end oiling hole to provide better lubrication to small end bearings. JE, Mahle and Wiseco pistons are good and not overly expensive compared to some.

As for displacement I'd stay with a 2 litre over a 2.1 or 2.5 as both become costly builds and do not rev as nicely as the 2 litre. But everyone likes their engine to perform differently, I prefer a longer rev range with a bigger power band over a torquey 2.5 litre with a smaller power band and very diesel like.

Last edited by bluerigster; 25 August 2009 at 04:22 PM.
Old 25 August 2009, 06:30 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bluerigster

As for displacement I'd stay with a 2 litre over a 2.1 or 2.5 as both become costly builds and do not rev as nicely as the 2 litre. But everyone likes their engine to perform differently, I prefer a longer rev range with a bigger power band over a torquey 2.5 litre with a smaller power band and very diesel like.
my 2.33 revs very nicely sir
Old 25 August 2009, 07:06 PM
britishbulldog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bluerigster
I'd look towards parts which support better bearing oiling such as a version 9 Spec C nitrided cross drilled crank and a larger newage 12mm rotor oil pump.
Lateral performance sell H beam conrods with a modified small end oiling hole to provide better lubrication to small end bearings.
that sounds like good advice to me, the key for me is to have a reliable
engine, rather than an engine pushed to its limits, so if a mapper could get 400 bhp out of the engine i would rather run a map with 370bhp, surely this would make for a more reliable motor, rather than trying to ring every last horse out of it? the better oiling definitely sounds like a good way to look at it
Old 25 August 2009, 07:13 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by britishbulldog
that sounds like good advice to me, the key for me is to have a reliable
engine, rather than an engine pushed to its limits, so if a mapper could get 400 bhp out of the engine i would rather run a map with 370bhp, surely this would make for a more reliable motor, rather than trying to ring every last horse out of it? the better oiling definitely sounds like a good way to look at it
BB that's what costs the money. reliabilty. thats the key. glad to see you have a sensible head on. any fool can bolt bits on and make big hp claims. get it to run reliably week in week out, that truly takes skill and a lot of knowledge.
Old 26 August 2009, 10:21 AM
britishbulldog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigsinky
BB that's what costs the money. reliabilty. thats the key. glad to see you have a sensible head on. any fool can bolt bits on and make big hp claims. get it to run reliably week in week out, that truly takes skill and a lot of knowledge.
i would much rather run a reliable setup than wringing the neck of the engine and all the components as well. my aim is to get a well setup and
reliable daily driver, not interested in bragging rights down the pub.

no point in having a 500bhp car that needs a rebuild every 6 months.
i just dont see the point of running injectors and turbo etc at 100% of their capacity, surely thats just asking for trouble.
Old 26 August 2009, 12:57 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

I would not describe my 2.5 engine as diesel like. Yes there is loads more torque lower down, but it revs very nicely thankyou, even with standard uk heads