Notices

unleash 20bhp??

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2009, 03:25 PM
redmister
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question unleash 20bhp??

HI I OWN A WRX MY96 WRX SPORTS WAGON....MY QUESTION IS THAT THE SALOON WRX HAS 240 BHP AND THE WAGON HAS A DETUNED VERSION WITH 220 BHP AS IT WAS CLASSED AS A TOURER...CAN ANYBODY TELL ME WATS THE DIFFRENCE BEWTWEN THE TWO ,,AND HOW TO UNLEASH 20 HP ...THX ANY ANSWERS WILL BE WELCOMED NICE ONE FELLAS HELP ME KEEP UP WITH THE SALOONS!!
Old 23 August 2009, 03:36 PM
wayno
Scooby Regular

I think the main differences are in the ecu and the td04 that you have is replaced with a td05, so if you look for a z4 ecu and get a td05 turbocharger you should be in business
Old 23 August 2009, 03:38 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Christ! I feel like Charlie Brown being blown over by his bawling teacher!
Old 23 August 2009, 03:43 PM
redmister
Scooby Newbie

pants i thought it might of been just e.c.u or throttle body or summin,, how much are tdo5s brand new as second hand unless seen the turbo working ,,i wouldnt bother with ,, thx m8 any other ideas how to get easy bhp,, ?as this is mt first subaru,, due to insurance purposes..
Old 23 August 2009, 04:06 PM
scooby72
Scooby Regular

de-cat??
Old 23 August 2009, 04:14 PM
redmister
Scooby Newbie

thx what rough power gains am i looking at at de cating?
Old 23 August 2009, 04:20 PM
scooby72
Scooby Regular

Now your asking.
Um not sure of exact figures but the companies selling the exhaust parts seem to offer Ideas of bhp figures. You'll need a better backbox, a straight through centre pipe and a bellmouth downpie. Ive done mine (my95 saloon) for about £300 all in with all gaskets etc. (admit downpipe still in post to me) should be good for a bout 30 bhp I rekon - Hopefully someone else will give up some rr figures.
Hope thats helpfull.
Oh I got and automax backbox, Centre pipe from here on the forsale section and the downpipe from jap-parts.
The back box and centre sound great - good rumble with no in cabin ear pain.
Old 23 August 2009, 05:00 PM
redmister
Scooby Newbie

thx i have a back box with burned tip from jam speed ,, it was on the car wen i bougth it but the car came with receipts,,its quite new,thx 4 the tip buddy
Old 23 August 2009, 05:02 PM
redmister
Scooby Newbie

ALSO I HAVE JUST FITTED A BLITZ DUMP VALVE,, ONLY RECENTLY WITH A PIPERCROOS REPLACEMENT FILTER,, BUT WHEN BRAKING OUT OF GEAR IT GOES TO CUT OUT AND HAS ONCE WAT COULD THAT BE ,, AS IT NEVER DONE IT BEFORE,, BUT IT GOES LIKE STINK THOUGH LOL
Old 23 August 2009, 05:13 PM
scooby72
Scooby Regular

Thats the Valve bud im sure. Try altering the screw on top. udi the locking nut and you can adjust the valve - there a re a couple of vids on u-tube where GFB are adjusting their valves - same principle but just ont the adjustment for recirc as the blitz one doesnt have that option. In truth though VTA valves prob arnt that good for Imprezas - although I run a bailey and have no real probs - its been on mine for a year and a half now. Tried a blitz and it clamped hard but didnt feel right somehow......
Old 23 August 2009, 05:19 PM
redmister
Scooby Newbie

VTA wats that,, the BLITZ BOV cost me 200 am gutted i got the wrong type ive seen the nut on top ,, but not sure wat it does .. will it help it idle? cheers m8ty
Old 23 August 2009, 05:26 PM
N_Scooby
Scooby Regular

VTA - Vent To Atmosphere dump valve. Where you hear the woosh rather than it being fed back into the system (re-circ) like standard. Some cars don't like them, others do. I ran one for over a year with no problems.
Old 23 August 2009, 05:30 PM
uk300scoob
Scooby Regular

full decat, panel filter and a remap will see u well over unleashing 20bhp
Old 23 August 2009, 05:33 PM
redmister
Scooby Newbie

i need to understand the theory of blow of valves i thinks.... thx 4 advice ps wat does the black box do between air flow meter and turbo is it a water catcher or a sound resanator ,, if i take it off and replace it with a strtaight through hose it should make airflow better yes or not ?
Old 23 August 2009, 05:36 PM
redmister
Scooby Newbie

will remaping make a diffrence as ive been told i have a tdo4 turbo because its a wagon and detuned some wat
Old 23 August 2009, 09:28 PM
Mrchips
Scooby Regular

No no, its not detuned.
Just the difference between turbos, a td05 is bigger then the td04.
What i would do is go for the td04 hybrid. Or just keep you td04 and remap. You should see up to about 280 on that with supporting mods, and be a flipping quick road car. As the TD04 has a quicker spool up over the TD05.
Old 24 August 2009, 05:41 PM
scooby72
Scooby Regular

Quick one - the adjustment screw should help sort your idle probs - check out tose u-tube vids.
Oh and if you fing a resonator delete (the black box on the air flow - tell me cos i want one too.
Old 24 August 2009, 08:28 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

tuning cars via you tube now why not take it to a reputable subaru tuner and ask his opinion, what would be best for your car. i can understand wanting to save money but doing work to your car that
1. you don't understand
2. you are not capable of doing without looking at a youtube video

is only going to end in tears and disillusionment with the car.
Old 24 August 2009, 09:13 PM
burbling1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy a td05 i got one off ebay for £51 delivered then buy a z4 ecu or a chipped ecu i got a chipped one off here for £100, theres a guy on here who had one with a 1.2 bar chip for sale jdmstig. The z4 with td05 will give you 260ps about 257bhp a chipped ecu with decat can give anywere between 260 and 300 bhp.
Old 25 August 2009, 07:16 PM
scooby72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigsinky
tuning cars via you tube now why not take it to a reputable subaru tuner and ask his opinion, what would be best for your car. i can understand wanting to save money but doing work to your car that
1. you don't understand
2. you are not capable of doing without looking at a youtube video

is only going to end in tears and disillusionment with the car.
That is a very fair coment but its only the spring adjust on the dump valve and the video in question is a mechanic from GFB tuning one of their dump valves. Its explianes why adjusting the spring tension settles the idle with the dump valve attached - not really fitting forged pistons is it??
The VTA valve issue is going to be going on forever - recirc will always be best but never please the ear!
No need to be quite so sarccy eh!!??!!
Old 25 August 2009, 07:35 PM
-ant-
Scooby Regular

iirc 1995- 1996 wrx saloon was 260 ps not 240 its was changed then.
Old 25 August 2009, 07:58 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby72
That is a very fair coment but its only the spring adjust on the dump valve and the video in question is a mechanic from GFB tuning one of their dump valves. Its explianes why adjusting the spring tension settles the idle with the dump valve attached - not really fitting forged pistons is it??
The VTA valve issue is going to be going on forever - recirc will always be best but never please the ear!
No need to be quite so sarccy eh!!??!!
i was in no way being sarcastic. i have seen numerous **** ups having to be fixed because people just don't know what they are doing. from experience, people will go a long way NOT to spend money, taking on work at their subaru just to save a few pounds and it ends up costing them a fortune. i am in no way questioning your ability as a subaru mechanic but there are a lot of people out there that think they know what they are talking about but in fact are standing on the shoulders of other people spouting crap. then when the **** hits the fan we get all the wailing and gnashing of teeth and those so called experts then disappear back into the woodwork.

just my opinion, but you know what they say, they are like arseholes, everyone has one

Last edited by bigsinky; 25 August 2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old 25 August 2009, 07:59 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by -ant-
iirc 1995- 1996 wrx saloon was 260 ps not 240 its was changed then.
Correct.
Old 25 August 2009, 08:15 PM
scooby72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigsinky
i was in no way being sarcastic. i have seen numerous **** ups having to be fixed because people just don't know what they are doing. from experience, people will go a long way NOT to spend money, taking on work at their subaru just to save a few pounds and it ends up costing them a fortune. i am in no way questioning your ability as a subaru mechanic but there are a lot of people out there that think they know what they are talking about but in fact are standing on the shoulders of other people spouting crap. then when the **** hits the fan we get all the wailing and gnashing of teeth and those so called experts then disappear back into the woodwork.

just my opinion, but you know what they say, they are like arseholes, everyone has one
More than fair enough comment - Ive had loads of crap advice given to me and even worse experiences with so called reputable companies.
This is a place where your bull****e detector should be on max - but having said that Ive had some very very helpfull advice too!!
I would say as a rule of thumb - "if your not confident about it dont do it!!" other wise some other poor buggers gotta pick the pieces up!

I have to agree with you wholeheartedly and admit also that it does sound mad looking on youtube of all places!
hahahaha!!

Also I didnt quite mean that you were putting me down - more that I was just offering an option to someone - not knowing how confident they are.

Will prob find me in the next - oh **** what have I done thread!!
Old 25 August 2009, 08:25 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

took my subaru to a mechanic who had worked in my cars for years. my first mod was a K+N cone filter. car was great before he fitted it. ran like a dog afterwards. came on here and found a good subaru mechanic (now a very good friend) and he spotted the problem right away. one of the rubber pipes that is supposed to be put into the side of the cone had been bunged with screw. the other mechanic just didn't know what to do with the pipe. every single modification since then has been done my friend and he has advised me at every step of what my next upgrades should be. i know nothing about cars, engines, turbos and i trust him implicitly. i just pay him to do the work and to be honest i don't even think he charges for half the hours he spends at my car. good master technicians are hard to find, so if you get one stick with him.

Last edited by bigsinky; 25 August 2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old 25 August 2009, 09:08 PM
scooby72
Scooby Regular

You're not wrong M8ey!!!!!!!
Ive grown up with bodyshop work and only got into mechanics about 6 years ago and flat 4's about 3 years ago - Its a superb engine and the more you dig the more incredible they become! I know very very little but what I do know is that working with this engine is a complete joy (and a little frustrating at times) even for a novice but they are a drug that is hard to beat!
Novice it is too as Im still learnig the absolute basics with different parts of the car and random stuff pops up all the time especially with my import!
If I get stuck I think I will be asking you to ask your friend! lol!
A good mech is worth his wait for sure!!!!
Thanks for the banter.
Ps Ihad a crap time with a cone filter - does yours run OK now with one??
Old 25 August 2009, 10:04 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

better than ok i think the only original part left on my car is the body shell. really too fast for the road now. 1/4 mile and terminal speeds would indicate between 500 - 600bhp. stripped her out this year for competition next year. lost about 80 -100 kg. all the nice bits bought just needs put together again.
Old 25 August 2009, 10:15 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the wagons also run a different compression ratio to the saloon. however i upgraded my 95 wrx wagon with a z4 ecu and td05 turbo to match the saloon and it ran with no problems.