Notices

couple of niggling problems

Search this Thread

Old 20 August 2009, 06:33 PM
Jonny5665
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default couple of niggling problems

I currently drive an 03 STI Type uk. Every now and again when I put the car in reverse and then take my foot of the accelerator I can here a knocking noise coming from the back of the car. Any ideas what this could be?

Also under braking the steering wheel moves to the left, but sometimes its worse than others, and sometimes the front end and tyres seem a little twitchy under breaking. This is only since I have put new front tyres on, is this just a simple case of getting the tracking done?

Thanks for any advice.
Old 20 August 2009, 09:42 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jonny5665
I currently drive an 03 STI Type uk. Every now and again when I put the car in reverse and then take my foot of the accelerator I can here a knocking noise coming from the back of the car. Any ideas what this could be?

Also under braking the steering wheel moves to the left, but sometimes its worse than others, and sometimes the front end and tyres seem a little twitchy under breaking. This is only since I have put new front tyres on, is this just a simple case of getting the tracking done?

Thanks for any advice.
1st could be Anti Roll Bar bushes, drop links or shockers, You ned to get under & have a pull & push Looksie

2nd Could just be the camber of the road or the N/s brake binding, biting more

3rd Different breads of tyres react differently, I would assume what you are experiencing is Tramming, Some brands are worse than others, You could swap the rears to the front & see if it behaves differently. Tracking will only really effect the tyre wear not so much how it drives as the wheels will always try to centre/straighten

Dean
Old 21 August 2009, 01:14 AM
Jonny5665
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that mate.

Will have a poke and prob tommorow and see what i can see (not that I have any clue what im looking at )
Old 21 August 2009, 11:54 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If the car pulls to the left under braking it's probably worth having the tracking checked.
Mine was out quite significantly on a previous car and the tracking sorted the issue.
Drive down a straight relatively pot hole free road, put the wheel straight and then take your hands off briefly, and see if the car moves one way or the other as it should maintain a fairly straight line. If it veers off one direction suggest the tracking.

As DeanF says, the knocking could be links or shocks - could be the bushes too although I'd have thought you would have heard it all the time if the bushes were on their way out.

The newage STI models have a known issue with knocking rear shocks which was apparently never resolved, hence a lot of STI owners go with aftermarket items. Subaru will replace them under warranty (but yours is too old I suspect), but apparently the problem can resurface as soon as 6 months after.
I had a problem where I fitted uprated solid rear droplinks and one of the bolts sheared off - made a horrible noise - sounded like the wheel had come off lol.
Also, as Dean suggests, check the caliper pistons to make sure they haven't seized (although I'd be surprised if that had happened on a relatively new car).

HTH
Old 21 August 2009, 12:08 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bugeye_Scoob
...I had a problem where I fitted uprated solid rear droplinks and one of the bolts sheared off - made a horrible noise - sounded like the wheel had come off lol....
My Whiteline NSR solid droplink nut/bolt had worked loose and failed MOT last Fri...... but solely on that!

Guess I got lucky in that it didn't come totally undone!

ZEN tightened it up and all good again for another year.
Old 21 August 2009, 12:26 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

As per Bugeye Scoob , Which i didn't put in my post, Still worth getting the tracking checked by a good garage, Not someone who will just charge you for the privilege !!

More brake dust on one wheel than the others is generally a sign that something is amiss with that caliper Etc..

All the best

Dean
Old 21 August 2009, 01:53 PM
Jonny5665
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the help guys. I will get the tracking checked out and see if that wil resolve the issue. Think i will get someone to check out the knocking in the back just to confirm what you guys have said.