Notices

0.5 bar boost problem?

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2009, 04:27 PM
scooby87
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 0.5 bar boost problem?

I picked up my 96 wrx import yesterday and have realised that it is only boosting to 0.5 bar.

I've read on this forum in pervious threads that this is the level of boost i should get on actuator spring pressure.

Which then went on to say the reason for this was due to a missing restrictor pill or faulty boost solenoid.

I have looked for the restrictor pill (which should be in the hose comming off the turbo before the T piece???) I don't have a T piece though?

I have 3 hoses comming off the boost solenoid, one to aftermarket filter, one to inlet manifold and one to turbo?

Please help I'm pretty stuck now?
Old 16 August 2009, 04:37 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

its the bottom pipe thats has the restrictor pill in, if this has the pill in check to see if the fault check connectors are connected underneath the dash as if these are connected they will only allow half boost, and lastly have a look at the actuator to see if the pre-tension is set correctly as this will also cause the low boost.
Old 16 August 2009, 05:26 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Connect the test wires under the drivers dash, this will put the boost solenoid into test mode and it should 'click' continually, give it a good flush through with brake and clutch cleaner, check all the relitive pipe work, it should look some thing like this

Boost Solenoid Plumbing

As it says in that link, if the 'pill' is missing it will cause over-boost not under-boost
Old 16 August 2009, 05:43 PM
scooby87
Scooby Regular

Right ok, the fault connectors are were not connected under the dash and the bottom pipe does have the restrictor in it.

I don't know how to check to see if the pre tension is set correctly on my actuator though?

Is that the green test wires under the dash b13bat? I connected the black ones and got a error code of 32 which is oxygen sensor?? I'm guessing that relates to having a decat on though?
Old 16 August 2009, 06:01 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby87
Right ok, the fault connectors are were not connected under the dash and the bottom pipe does have the restrictor in it.

I don't know how to check to see if the pre tension is set correctly on my actuator though?

Is that the green test wires under the dash b13bat? I connected the black ones and got a error code of 32 which is oxygen sensor?? I'm guessing that relates to having a decat on though?
They should NOT be connected all the time, only to test/check, the 'pill' is there, good.

Forget the pre-tension for now.

Connect both the black and green wires and turn ignition to 'on' do NOT start engine, fans should run and boost solenoid should click continually, remove the pipes from the solenoid and sqirt with cleaner.

O2 sensor should still be in place, decat or not, it will be either in the drivers side manifold or the down pipe, easy to spot.

See here www.jollygreenmonster.co.uk
Old 16 August 2009, 06:08 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

I did some research about the restrictor pills when I was having problems, spoke to some reputable guy's and apparantly my96 WRX (import) shouldn't have a restrictor pill Mine doesn't?...sorry to throw that into the mix.
The green test plugs are under your steering column near where you found the black ones. When you connect the green plugs with the power on you'll hear all sorts going....the fans will come on & off, various other bits and you should hear your boost solenoid clicking away like a goodan'.
When I had my actuator tested the guy at the garage had a pump with a gauge on it to show the arm moving correctly. You could probably knock something up using a bike pump or something just to see if it's moving but you wouldn't know if it's moving enough. Goodluck
Old 16 August 2009, 06:09 PM
scooby87
Scooby Regular

I went outside again just as you replied, dam.

I connected both green plugs and the fans came on and solenoid clicked rapidly.

I will go and squirt the pipes with cleaner now.

I can see an sensor or some sort comming off the downpipe and a wire from that leading to the thing above the boost solenoid if thats its?

Trending Topics

Old 16 August 2009, 06:10 PM
scooby87
Scooby Regular

Thanks GM it may now get even more confusing lol
Old 16 August 2009, 06:21 PM
scooby87
Scooby Regular

bat - i squirted the pipes with cleaner and all appears the same, it does click loads under test though.

what do you suggest now?

thanks.
Old 16 August 2009, 06:23 PM
mikef04
Scooby Regular

take the car back lol
Old 16 August 2009, 06:27 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

Thanks GM it may now get even more confusing lol
Apparantly though it (not having a restrictor pill) only apply's to the 260bhp pre-facelift my96 import (Japanese) WRX with the black slanted intercooler
Could be different for your's. Hope your enjoying your car though, I do but being 13 odd years old the car's are showing there age abit. I'm sure in a few years I'll have replaced almost every standard original part Just spent £300 on a MAF and £800 odd on the gearbox the other week....mental but I love it
Old 16 August 2009, 06:33 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

bat - i squirted the pipes with cleaner and all appears the same, it does click loads under test though.

what do you suggest now?

thanks.
Not sure if he's still here so thought I'd have ago...If the solenoid's clicking away then it's working so I'd leave that for now. It could be one of the other components on the boost control "tree" so to speak not sure how to test those parts without swapping like for like with another Scooby owner who know's there's are working.
Have you checked all the intercooler piping and vacuum pipes etc for splits, holes or loose connections?? just a thought
Old 16 August 2009, 06:39 PM
scooby87
Scooby Regular

well the intercooler is definately black and definately slanted, it is a v-limited model though but from what i have read on here an other places before buying the car this model is the same performance wise as the wrx import.

Love the car so far though
Old 16 August 2009, 06:41 PM
scooby87
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GMballistic
Not sure if he's still here so thought I'd have ago...If the solenoid's clicking away then it's working so I'd leave that for now. It could be one of the other components on the boost control "tree" so to speak not sure how to test those parts without swapping like for like with another Scooby owner who know's there's are working.
Have you checked all the intercooler piping and vacuum pipes etc for splits, holes or loose connections?? just a thought

I will check all those pipes now.
Old 16 August 2009, 06:52 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

your car should 100% have the restirctor pill in the bottom boost solenoid pipe, irrespective weather in is the 260ps model or not.
Old 16 August 2009, 06:53 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

As GMBallistic says really. However if you do knock up a tester for the actator be very careful as the diaphram is delicate I assume you have boost gauge fitted??
Old 16 August 2009, 07:04 PM
scooby87
Scooby Regular

Yes i do have a boost guage fitted, i wasn't just guessing i was boosting .5 bar lol.

Err i wasn't sure about the whole making a tester thing, thought i would probably damage something in the process.

Is there anything i can do apart from testing the actuator?
Old 16 August 2009, 07:14 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Have you tried resetting the ECU as per jollygreenmonsters site
Old 16 August 2009, 07:20 PM
scooby87
Scooby Regular

I will try that now, thats quite a lengthy reset process, would disconnecting the battery for 10 mins not have the same affect?
Old 16 August 2009, 07:26 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Nah, i think you have to leave the battery off for hours rather than mins.

A proper reset only takes a few mins
Old 16 August 2009, 07:54 PM
scooby87
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by b13bat
Nah, i think you have to leave the battery off for hours rather than mins.

A proper reset only takes a few mins

Did the reset according to jollygreenmonster and all went fine as per isntructions.

I have no error codes at all it seems, so thats good news.

But still no clue as to why i'm stuck at .5 bar

Last edited by scooby87; 16 August 2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old 16 August 2009, 08:02 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Me niether mate My car was the same as yours when i got it but that turned out to be dodgy plumbing

You could try pulling the pipe off the actuator and taking it for a very controlled spin, be very careful though as you will boost to destruction if you floor it, this will at least rule out the turbo
Old 16 August 2009, 08:07 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

V-Limited very nice
Seeing as your car should have the restrictor pill are you sure it's the correct one? I've heard stories of people changing them in an effort to gain more power not sure how you'd check that though...doubt there's part numbers on it. Probably need a vernier gauge to measure the inside diameter of the hole.
Anyone know if it could be stuck in "limp home mode"?? that would half the amount of boost he'd get wouldn't it.
Hope you get this sorted so you can enjoy your car, there's some interesting Subaru info on here to ;

Scoobypedia | Trusted knowledge for everything Subaru | Knowledge / ECU
Old 16 August 2009, 08:56 PM
scooby87
Scooby Regular

Hmm so i repeated what you guys suggested above as a last resort before dark, went for a spin and some how i now have full boost :S

Now boosting to about 1bar and appears to be holiding steady in gears tested.

Makes a big difference to the .5 bar though lol.

Very pleased now, thanks loads for the help guys!! I'll try and get some pictures up soon in the other area since i'm new to the site.

GM - maybe it was stuck in limp mode and i didn't do the first ecu reset correctly and then the second time i got it right??
Old 17 August 2009, 02:22 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

Great stuff...glad you got it sorted. Now go enjoy it bud
Old 17 August 2009, 08:53 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Hmm so i repeated what you guys suggested above as a last resort before dark, went for a spin and some how i now have full boost :S

Now boosting to about 1bar and appears to be holiding steady in gears tested.

Makes a big difference to the .5 bar though lol.

Very pleased now, thanks loads for the help guys!! I'll try and get some pictures up soon in the other area since i'm new to the site.

GM - maybe it was stuck in limp mode and i didn't do the first ecu reset correctly and then the second time i got it right??
Well done fella ;-)) (smiles not workin)